Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jax73
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Landline fault for vulnerable elderly couple

Go to solution

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve a faulty line issue that nobody wants to take responsibility for?

On the 19th of November, my In-laws moved house and wanted to transfer their BT account to their new property.  Unfortunately the phone line for the new property doesn't work and two weeks down and daily phone calls to BT helplines seem to be getting us nowhere.

My In-Laws moved house to try and simplify their lives as my father-in-law is 80 years old and the primary carer for his wife who has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia.  On the Monday after moving, he was in tears when he asked my husband for help getting the phone line fixed as he didn't understand the automated system. The stress of his wife's illness, the move and not being able to contact the Dr or the emergency services was clearly too much for him!

My husband took over the responsibility for getting this fixed and despite endless phone calls, precious time wasted, an engineer visit, countless broken promises and one operative wanting to charge to set up a new phone line, we are no nearer getting this issue sorted.

This situation is far from acceptable and very distressing for all concerned.  I find it hard to believe BT can treat vulnerable customers in such a heartless way.

We don't know how to progress this further, we are not after compensation or press coverage, we just want our love ones to feel comfortable and confident in their new home, so if anybody has any suggestions on what to do next we would be truly grateful.

Jacqui

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Landline fault for vulnerable elderly couple

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution
What did the Engineer say was the problem?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Hi @Jax73,

Welcome to the community forum. I'm sorry that your In-laws have been left without a telephone service and I can understand that this can be extremely distressing. I'll be able to help get their service working again.

Please can you send me in their details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

@Jax23, surely your beef is with the vendors of your in-laws' property. They sold a property with a faulty phone line. Is it a new-build? If not, surely the previous owners must have been using mobile phone signals at the time they lived there, and didn't bother to get the landline fixed? I hope this is all sorted out soon and best regards.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution
If they've just moved in they would've placed an order. If Openreach records show a stopped line at the property they would've activated that.

If the property has had no land line for more than 12 months then they would or should've raised an Installation Activity for an Openreach to go and and connect up the line.

The OP mentioned and 'Engineer Visit' but that's it. I'm interested to know what this Engineer did or said?
0 Ratings
Jax73
Beginner
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution
Thank you, all help gratefully received.
Jacqui
0 Ratings
Jax73
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

The engineer has now reported no fault with line or the telephone, but my father-in-law is still unable to dial out or receive phone calls.  Despite have changed the number twice, promises of getting the line fixed by 5pm yesterday have once again failed.

We are still unsure where exactly the problem is.

All suggestions gratefully recieved Bob!

Jacqui

0 Ratings
Jax73
Beginner
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution
Thank you for your response, the property is a sheltered accommodation, with the previous occupant a very elderly lady. At the moment we are unable to detect exactly where the fault is as the engineer has said there is not fault with the landline or equipment.
We are still stumped!
0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

Did the engineer visit the property and test from the master socket ?, it seems odd that if someone did visit , they wouldn't demonstrate the service working to the end user  ( listening to dialtone, receiving an incoming call)

If the  engineer called from a remote location and said the line tests ok isn't quite the same.

Something to have in mind is that Openreach are not responsible for customers equipment, or extension wiring and sockets, so it may be worth checking your relatives equipment is in the 'master' socket as that's the only one that is 'guaranteed' by your provider ( and Openreach)  and that what ever equipment is connected is working ok and connected correctly 

0 Ratings