Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IzRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Landline for use in a private room in a care home in Saffron Walden, Essex

Go to solution

I have just spent the last hour trying to find my way around BT to ask my question and always landing up in the same place.

Question is as follows. My brother is in a care home in Saffron Walden, Essex. As visiting is proving problematic, I would like to have a landline phone installed in his private room, so that I and other family members can talk to him on a regular and frequent basis. The home manager has been able to confirm that a connection already exists in his room.

Is it possible to speak directly with someone in the department installing phones in the Saffron Walden area? This would be to get some idea of costs and how and when arrangements need to be made for work to go ahead. 

Any info and/or advice would be much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Landline for use in a private room in a care home in Saffron Walden, Essex

Go to solution

@IzRiley 

Welcome to this user forum.

Please remove your email address from your post, as its not permitted on this forum.

Its really easy to get a phone activated, assuming you want to use BT Retail as his provider.

Place an order using this link - https://www.bt.com/landline/deals

If the address doesn't appear properly when you enter the postcode, there is a section underneath where you can manually enter the address.  This will raise the order with the address showing as bronze and it will prompt Openreach to carry out a survey to confirm the routing.

As there is a line in place, a survey should not be needed, but make sure you specify the room number when you place the order.

If you are intending to use a different provider, then this forum cannot help, you would have to contact the other provider.

IzRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Apologies. I didn't intend to break any rules. However, it's an ill wind, since you have provided me with some very helpful information which I really appreciate. Thank you.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@IzRiley wrote:
Apologies. I didn't intend to break any rules. However, it's an ill wind, since you have provided me with some very helpful information which I really appreciate. Thank you.

This is just a customer to customer help forum, but if you do run into ant problems, there are some BT moderators here who can help, but its likely to take them some time.

Once you place the order, you should receive a date for activation, and the phone number that will be assigned.

I would expect that activation for an existing line, would be quite quick, provided the line is not in the process of being ceased by the last resident, and the routing is still intact.

0 Ratings
IzRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
More useful advice. Many thanks.
According to the home manager I spoke to, I don't think there will be any problem from the former resident
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@IzRiley wrote:
More useful advice. Many thanks.
According to the home manager I spoke to, I don't think there will be any problem from the former resident

It depends on if they had a phone service, and whether they asked for it to be ceased.

If there is a pending cease order which has not yet been closed, then that can delay things.

The ideal situation is if the line is still working, as then a Working Line Takeover can be arranged, and this normally takes about 10 days.

You will be given updates from BT, once the order is placed.

0 Ratings
IzRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Many thanks again.
0 Ratings
IzRiley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I'm pleased to say that thanks to your good advice, and especially the link you suggested, arrangements are underway. BT were able to confirm that the connection in my brother's room was still valid and therefore it was just a matter of BT  making the necessary connection out in the road. By agreement, the service won't begin until 3rd November, so that there is time for any other family member to object - which I sincerely hope they won't. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Excellent 😀

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@IzRileywrote:
 By agreement, the service won't begin until 3rd November, so that there is time for any other family member to object - which I sincerely hope they won't. 

May I chip in here? Some consideration should be given to the type of call package you select and, once arranged whether there should be a cap added.

A cap will not be needed if unlimited calls package is selected.

0 Ratings