Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DottyDolly
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Landline has no dial tone but when I ring form mobile its engaged

My Landline has no dial tone and when I ring it from my mobile it is engaged. I have checked that none of the phones are off the hook. How can I sort this problem out?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Landline has no dial tone but when I ring form mobile its engaged

Have you reported the fault to 0800 800151?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 11

First thing to do is check at your master socket test port with a known working ( preferably wired ) phone, (without  a broadband filter connected  ) if NDT there, (no dialtone) then report the line faulty (NDT) to your landline provider , if you do have a dialtone at the test port , then the issue is on something neither BT or Openreach are responsible for, like extension sockets, extension wiring, or anything plugged into a phone socket, using the test port effectively disconnects everything else from the 'line' apart from the known working phone, if NDT at the test port you can be confident the problem is outside your home and therefore not likely to be a chargeable repair when OR respond to the fault report.

0 Ratings
DottyDolly
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Hi yes I have and they tested the line and there is no fault with that. 

0 Ratings
DottyDolly
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Thanks - trouble is I do not know where my master socket is and my phones are wireless. I phoned my dad today who used to be a BT engineer and advised what you said but when I said I don't know where it is he said just switch all your electrics off and then re set. I haven't done this yet as I'm worried I may make things worse!  My husband is coming back from overseas tommorow so I will ask him if he knows where the master socket is. Thanks for all your help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

If you can see where the wires come in the house from outside, that will be where the master socket is located.

0 Ratings
DottyDolly
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Hi thanks - I think ive found it, I can see a thick cable buried in the flower bed on a black box which looks like it feeds into my hubbys study. Inside the study behind his desk is are two white square boxes where the router feeds into and I,m guessing the telephone etc?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Not sure why there are 2 white boxes, but yes, one of them should be the master socket with a removable lower faceplate.

0 Ratings
DottyDolly
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Ok thanks - So I need a wired phone to put in the socket to check if I get a dialtone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Yep.

0 Ratings