Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Landline installation confusion

First some background

1) Ordered Broadband and Landline on 19/02/20 to be installed on the 09/03/20.  

2) A few days later chased progress with online chat who confirmed order was placed for the above date.  Got order reference from them so I could keep track of the order.

3) Checked order tracker and found Landline install date moved to 03/03/20.  I changed back to 9/03/20.  This happened a couple of times before I rang 0800 800 150 to find what was going on was told Openreach were changing the slots as they didn't have available slots available on 9th even though broadband was still being installed on that date.  I decided to keep the appointment as the next one was further away.

4) on the 03/03/20 (yesterday) I waited for the engineer to come till around 1.15 pm before I messaged him to find out if he still coming and was told according to his notes I was booked for although all SMS and website showed I had morning appointment.

5) Engineer arrived and said he wouldn't be able to install the broadband as no vans with was available.  I explained the broadband install wasn't until next week but he said he had been given both jobs but he rearranged another engineer for the broadband installation tomorrow.

6) Engineer checked the wiring for the Landline and went to the Cabinet to do some work.  On returning he checked phone but got no dialtone and the number was still ringing in on the Virgin Line.  He said everything looked fine and line would probably be activated later in the day and keep checking through the day.

7) 04/03/20 Another engineer came and installed the broadband boxes but unable to test connection due to not having the router yet.  When I explained about the landline he thought it was strange and told me to call BT customer services.

8) I called customer services and explained the situation and at first was told it may be because I can't port the number over from virgin and I may have been given a new number but after looking further into the account she realised the number had been linked to my BT account.  After doing a doing a few test a fault was booked.

After reading a few other posts on here I thought I would give virgin a call and see if BT had requested my number to be ported.  The VirginMedia agent said that there's no requests on their system for a number port so looks like BT haven't told Virgin to transfer them the number.

I tried to explain this to an agent on live chat but he said both the Landline and Internet are not meant to go live till the 09/03/2020 and raising a fault would be unlikely to solve anything until then.

Surely the agent I spoke to earlier would have been able to see if services weren't live till next week ?

should I be contacting them again to ask them to put in a request for the number to be ported over?  I don't want to lose the number if I don't have to.  If it helps the number was originally a talktalk number that has been used on the same exchange since I got it.

Would the number being both Virgin Media and BT be causing the line to be dead?

Thankyou for any advice

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Landline installation confusion

@sahil19 

Welcome to this user forum.

I can only advise you on the phone number porting.

Did BT retail provide your original phone number at your current address, before you moved to TalkTalk?

Its not normally possible to port a number back to BT Retail, unless they actually own the number.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

your number was originally allocated to your from TT and then ported to Virgin when you moved to virgin  it may be that moving to BT the number has been returned to TT as the number owner

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Thankyou for your replies @Keith_Beddoe @imjolly 

The number was originally Talktalk but has since been Sky, BT before going to Virgin and is still with Virgin as when phone is connected on their socket calls come through.

Has something changed in the last couple of years as previously we were able to transfer numbers from Virgin to BT (did this for my father in law about 4 years ago, but that was always a Virgin number).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

nothing has changed  you managed to transfer the number from virgin to BT as it was originally a virgin number.  your case is different as was TT number transferred to virgin but if you leave virgin number is returned to owner - TT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@sahil19 wrote:

Thankyou for your replies @Keith_Beddoe @imjolly 

The number was originally Talktalk but has since been Sky, BT before going to Virgin and is still with Virgin as when phone is connected on their socket calls come through.

Has something changed in the last couple of years as previously we were able to transfer numbers from Virgin to BT (did this for my father in law about 4 years ago, but that was always a Virgin number).

You need to find the real number range holder.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

If its not BT Retail, then you may have a problem porting your number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Has your address remained the same throughout all of these changes of providers , or have you  at any point moved address, but were able to take the number with you ( porting or home move your number service ) ?

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Always been at the same address since having the number.

According to link above the number range belongs to TalkTalk.

Strangely Sky had previously said they would be able to port the number if order over the phone instead of the website.

If I can't persuade the wife to have a new number I might have to cancel the order till Sky start FTTP in my area.

Another thing that confused me was the fact the number got added to my account and according to the agent I spoke to earlier thought it was ringing when she tried calling it.  I had to tell it was actually ringing on my Virgin account.

I thought the fact the number was linked to both BT and Virgin account might have caused the dead line.

I'll call them back tomorrow and see what's happening about the number porting request not being sent to virgin.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

If the number belongs to TalK Talk, then I would say that you would not be able to port it to BT, as BT number ranges are unique to each exchange, and cannot be changed. This is a legacy issue.

I suspect that you have now lost your number, and its been returned to TalkTalk, so if you must keep the number, you are going to have to return to them.

If you are not concerned about the number, then just accept a new number from BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

The OP sates they have already had in the past this TT number working via BT

Is the service you have ordered via BT , regular copper based ADSL /VDSL ( FTTC) or FTTP , if FTTP , are you keeping the phone service over the existing copper pair and only broadband over the FTTP 

0 Ratings