cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pedr057
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Landline network - how to connect to master socket

I have the BT Openreach master socket in a remote corner of my house. Placing the base station for the digital phone there means it's a struggle to get good reception on handsets at the other end of the house (likely to due to build materials in the walls etc). The house does appear to have a network of conventional / old-style BT sockets but these don't appear to be connected to the master BTO socket.

I'd like to try to use this network - could I simply run a cable from the BTO master socket to the nearest old-style socket then plug a phone(s) into the network in otherrooms? (obviously being aware of total ringer equivalence limitations etc).

PS I do have an ethernet network too and it's working fine (touch wood) having been connected to the router and switch so wondered if I could do something similar with the landline phone side.

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Landline network - how to connect to master socket

@Pedr057 

Who provides your phone service, is it still BT?

Is your broadband an FTTC connection, or an FTTP connection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Just run a cw1308 cable from the master socket to the extension. Only 2 wires are needed, connect to pins 2&5 on the removable faceplate of the master socket and 2&5 at the extension.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

If its an FTTC connection, then a filtered faceplate at the master socket would be essential, as all those daisy chained extension sockets are going to have a bad effect on the broadband connection speed, causing open ended transmission lines.

0 Ratings
Pedr057
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Hi,

BT still provide both landline and broadband services.

The connection is FTTC (and I have a BT Hub-6 router).

The BT master socket has an integral filter so separate sockets for phone and router connections and no need for the old-style micro-filters.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@Pedr057 wrote:

Hi,

BT still provide both landline and broadband services.

The connection is FTTC (and I have a BT Hub-6 router).

The BT master socket has an integral filter so separate sockets for phone and router connections and no need for the old-style micro-filters.

Then you must ensure that you connect any extension wiring, to the block which is situated behind the front cover, as that is the filtered output. That will only let the phone part of your connection through, and not any broadband signal.

Capture.JPG

I am assuming you have the latest master socket, or is it an earlier one, with the broadband connection at the top, and the phone connection underneath?

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

when you take the faceplate off master are there any wires connected to terminals 2&5?  if not are there loose wires and cable inside master which probably come from extension socket(s)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Pedr057
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

The phone and broadband sockets are side-by-side and it says “Master Socket 5C” on top. 
I have a bookcase within a few inches of it so not readily accessible at the moment - not sure I’d feel comfortable with trying to take off the cover for a peek inside especially as I can’t see any screws.

The  old master socket From the previous owner/service is still there - presumably removing it would leave an unsightly hole.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

There are no screws, the cover is simply clipped on.

mk4 filter.jpg

Underneath you will see the white filtered terminal block. That is where the wiring to the other sockets must come from, otherwise you will affect your broadband connection and will get disconnections.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

The frontplate is designed to be removable to gain access to your internal wiring, it just clips on with the 5C.