Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vickyh55
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Landline number changed during broadband switch

Hi Barry

I too am after information concerning this.  I was with Origin Broadband and transferred to NowTV.  On their drop down menu, I selected to retain my old number, where you then input your number.  The day after my service went live I called my mother whom has caller id, she informed me that my number had changed, we were not even informed by NowTV of any new number either.  I was shocked and fuming as my mother-in-law is terminally ill and all the doctors, carers etc all have our old number, my partner has mental health issues and all those concerned with that have the old number too, mobile phone coverage where we live is also non-existent.     

When I contacted NowTV I was told ‘We were unable to transfer the number, I am not sure of the reason but we could not transfer your number from the previous supplier.’ and ‘It was physically impossible to transfer your number, it could not be done.’  I believe this information to be incorrect.  When I asked why was no new number supplied to me I was told ‘it must have been a glitch in the system’, like the glitch that failed to transfer my number over that I requested.  I was also told that they could see nothing on their system that I requested that I keep my old number, yet I was then told that’s not to say you didn’t put the request in!! 

All I am being told is that my number is gone forever, if they had informed me of a new number prior to going live I would not have changed supplier. Under NowTV’s complaints procedure they have to pay compensation if there is a delay in transferring your number over, they are not even applying their own procedures, and are not even answering my questions, as to why they are refusing to get my old number back.  All I want is my old number back as I don’t think people realise the time and effort it’s going to take to change the number, it’s the tiny little details like dog collar tags that I’ll now have to change amongst other many other things.  It’s a shame you only find out how good a company is when you have to deal with a complaint.  Can anybody help please? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Landline number changed during broadband switch

Hi @vickyh55 Welcome to the forum. I've moved your post to create your own thread to prevent any confusion and it's the best thing to do.

I'm sorry that Mum has had her phone number changed on the move from Origin to NowTV for broadband. You really need to speak with the current provider of the telephone line to see what can be done to get her number back as we can only assist current BT Retail customers.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
vickyh55
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the fast reply, it's actually my number at my my address.  They are just stating the number has gone back to BT's pool? and that it's gone forever.  They have been of little help, I suppose my only option is to take the complaint to CISAS.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 8

I'm really sorry to hear this has happened. Unfortunately it's not something we (in BT Retail) have any access to or can control.

Your provider is the one that will have the ability to see what can be done.

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
vickyh55
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Hi thanks again for the message, I have spoken to Origin Broadband as they would have been my previous supplier, but they have stated that the service concerning numbers is an Openreach issues, they checked the line and stated that there would have been no reason the number could not have been transffered and to contact my new provider explaining that the old number could be reinstated, this is where the problem lies NowTV are not being at all helpful and are stating the number is lost forever.  What depatment of Openreach would be best to contact as NowTV are stating 'Your old number is not actually transferable, which is why it has changed.' and 'We were unable to transfer the number, I am not sure of the reason but we could not transfer your number from the previous supplier.' and 'It was physically impossible to transfer your number, It could not be done.' and 'So basically a number can only be changed a number of times'. 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

As already stated this is a forum for BT Consumer customers, BT Consumer have exactly the same access in Openreach as every other provider, so as the problem is between Origin and Now , then it's upto one of them to sort out your problem, not BT, after all BT don't owe you anything, as you are not a customer.

If Origin or Now won't help, then it reflects on them as providers, but posting on a BT forum is a bit like complaining about your new Ford car, to a Vauxhall  dealership, you wouldn't be surprised if they said something like ' Nothing to do with us, sorry' , and that's really what you are being told here, it's nothing to do with BT Consumer as the number wasn't with BT or being transferred to BT, even if it were originally a 'BT' number.

If , because of the  other company's errors the number is returned to the number range holder....the only way BT would possibly help is if the person wanted BT Consumer to be their provider ( so you would effectively have to cancel with Now)  , and then BT  may try to get the number, but wouldn't guarantee being able to get it.

Lastly, what you have  been told that numbers can only be ported a limited number of times is nonsense, what you have encountered is company's that didn't process the number port correctly, and presumably cannot be bothered to try and get it back, hoping you would just accept any old number.

0 Ratings
vickyh55
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Initous, after banging my head against a brick wall, and being left in an awful situation, I'm grasping at straws which included googling instances where the same problem has occured and how it was rectified, which led to this forum where a person was helped whose landline number was not ported from EE to Virgin.  I'm not here complaining I've come across a forum that I thought might have helped someone in a dire situation and wanted to see if anyone could point me in the right direction, nothing more just out for information on a forum, is that not what forums are for?  Don't you think I know the company I have joined is not up to my expectations?  I wouldn't be here if it was.  I've never stated that BT owe me anything, and if joining BT was an option after reading some other information to have a chance of getting my number back I was considering it,  but I feel your post is telling me to basically sod off, I'm really sorry I came on here wasting peoples time looking for help in a dire situation.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

I'm sorry my post implied that you should 'do one' just because you aren't a BT customer, my point was that quite a lot of people consider BT and OR to be one entity, and in effect BT should be the 'police' of the entire industry, and sort out any issue , even if the problem is with another company's customers.

In my defence , I did suggest a possible way of getting the number back..If someone has had a number for many years ( possibly decades) , it's quite likely that the number was originally from BT's number range, and the consumer at some point 'ported' the number to another provider , what you are finding is quite common, and that is that some providers are OK at importing numbers from BT , but importing and exporting numbers when BT isn't involved is another matter.

If the number has in effect been 'lost' by the two company's involved and they are incapable of getting it back, then the number will eventually revert back to the number range holder (which is probably BT) where it can be re used for a new BT customer, normally numbers like this are not allocated immediately , but in quarantine for  a while , before becoming available again.

If the number was important enough to you, that you would use  BT as your provider, and you raise an order with BT, then obviously BT would be involved, and could help.

BT would provide service with a temporary number , while waiting for the number you really want  to be returned to BT ( again assuming was originally a BT number ) , when it's back , a 'renumber' order is then submitted to get your number back to you, it wouldn't be instant, you may have the temporary number for a while , and you would only get a promise to try and get the number , not a guarantee , but it's probably the best chance you have of getting the number you want back, if the other company's involved have effectively told you there is nothing more that they can do.