cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Landline number has been changed without notice or request.

Found on 28 Feb 2018 our landline number had been changed. Reported fault. Openreach attended 01 Mar 2018 but told us they could not get our old number back as there was a request in for our number and to recontact BT. Reported to call centre & told it wii be fixed in 2 working days. Did not happen. Rang call centre again for update 06 Mar 2018 told once again after apologies it will be fixed in 2 working days. Did not happen. Rang call centre again for update 09 Mar 2018 and was told no one knows why it was changed and how to get our number back at the moment but offered sincere apologies and will once again try to solve problem and will definitely contact us with update. Does any one know why this happens and how to fix it?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Landline number has been changed without notice or request.

Have you just moved in or have you lived there for some time? The reason I ask is a former occupier may have requested to transfer the number to their new address ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

We have been here for a year. The same thing happened 07 Dec 2017 and took a week to resolve (albeit the number given was different than the current issue). We mentioned on our fault report past experience.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 5

@RayMac I'm sorry your number has changed without your knowledge, there are a few different senarios when this can happen.

If another customer contacts us advises us that they are moving in to your address and requests that we provide them with service. You should however get a letter informing you of this to allow you the opportunity to cancel this process if its not correct.  If this has happened an new order to provide you with service needs to be placed

Alternatively it could be caused by a crossed line with another customer and this would require Openreach to fix the line in order to get your number back on your line.

If you need any help please use the 'click here to contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details. You can find the link by clicking on my username. We are quite busy at the moment in the Mod team so it will be next week before we would be able to reply. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

@NeilOwrote:

@RayMac I'm sorry your number has changed without your knowledge, there are a few different senarios when this can happen.

If another customer contacts us advises us that they are moving in to your address and requests that we provide them with service. You should however get a letter informing you of this to allow you the opportunity to cancel this process if its not correct.  If this has happened an new order to provide you with service needs to be placed

This implies that no response to the letter means that the person can take over the line. Does it really say "if you want to cancel this, please contact us"? If it does, then the process needs totally changing.

0 Ratings