Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Landline

Go to solution

I have a problem with my landline, the fault in intermitent, I have no dial tone and anyone who rings my landline gets the engaged tone.  It is not the telephone as I have been and bought a new one and the fault is still there, and then suddenly the dial tone is back.j

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Landline

Go to solution

If you connect the phone to the test socket and there is still no dial tone then report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
As already stated you need to do a little more than just try another phone, by using the test port of the master socket, any extension sockets, extension wiring, and anything plugged into any extension socket is effectively disconnected from the 'line' so if the fault remains when a known working phone is plugged directly into the test port you can be confident that the issue is 'outside' and report the fault to your service provider....things such as extension sockets and wiring can develop faults , but are not your service provider or Openreach's responsibility, an example could be a cable running to an extension socket under a carpet , over time people walking over the cable under the carpet damage the cable , and the damaged cable is what's causing the fault on the 'line'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Hi. Thank you for your thoughts, we do not have any extension sockets or wires inside the house. The phone plugs straight into the box that comes from outside and is what  bt have fitted.  The worry is, of course the £ 129.99 charge they threaten you with, but how do you check the wall socket.  I do not have a clue what I am looking for.  Surely if this wall socket is faulty it is BT’s responsibility?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

If there is nothing but one socket , then it cannot be extension sockets etc, but the master socket should have a detachable bottom section, by removing the bottom part of the master socket , it should expose an internal 'test' socket.....plug your known working phone in here ( without a broadband filter ) if no dialtone  contact your provider, if it is ok, leave in the test port and see how it goes, the bottom section of the socket unless it's got a built in broadband filter , doesn't have anything to go wrong, if it's an interstitial one with a built in filter , they can develop faults..if you search NTE5 master socket, you should get an idea how the socket fits together

If you plug into the test port, and it's the same fault as when the socket is assembled, (no dial tone)  then you should be OK to report it as NDT ( no dialtone ) and even if BT  give a warning about potential charges , it's just that, a warning , it's not a guarantee that you will be charged, as many don't bother to check their own equipment.

After you have checked the test port, presuming the fault remains, you have done all you can to eliminate anything that you are responsible for, and  charges shouldn't be an issue

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Hi, thank you for your help, landline seems to be working alright at the moment  (this is the third time it has happened in the last two weeks,) so I am going to cancel the appointment with the bit engineer and see how it goes.

0 Ratings