cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Late in the day scam phone calls. Full blacklist. More please. Block fake international?

The number of scam phone calls my mother is getting is increasing. She's nearly 94, has dementia, and is usually asleep. This evening she got one at 20:25 - luckily this time it has been seen before and blacklisted, so Call Protect got it. 

The scam windows scrappage hard sell team!

The problem with Call Protect is that you only get to block the numbers after the first one, of course! With over 200 calls gone to voicemail (which means 200 got through already!), 100 in the blacklist, it's getting to be an issue again. I have deleted the earlier blacklisted ones to make room for the more recent scams, but guessed which ones to leave. In some cases numbers which were blacklisted 6 months ago have turned up again!

My plea again is "can we have more in the blacklist" please?

And, one more time - can we please have fake "international numbers" blocked so we don't need to blacklist these too?

Rob.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
CJT80
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Late in the day scam phone calls. Full blacklist. More please. Block fake international?

@RobFletcher

The service needs to be limitless and improved.   Clearly it's still early days. 

I have sent you a PM regarding Dementia that may interest you. 

It should show up as a notification next to the Envelope icon on the top of this Page. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Rich44
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Late in the day scam phone calls. Full blacklist. More please. Block fake international?

That's awful my sympathy, nuisance calls are bad enough but in that situation it's especially bad.

I use a Fritzbox to block calls, it can only handle 20 normally in the database but what it allows you to do is create a second phonebook with all the dodgy numbers in and then block the 1 phone book. I wonder if that's something that BT could do as a way round it.
CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 6

@Rich44

I presume that the "restriction" with Call Protect is simply at a Network level, and could possible be overridden. 

Perhaps BT (and other Call Providers) will look to increase the limit, or perhaps provide an enhanced "paid for" service for a small monthly fee. 

Clearly it would be nicer to provide it for free! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

The solution is not to blacklist numbers, but to add your phone book so that those calls are allowed through automatically. Any other number then gets an automated announcement where they are asked to say who they are, you then have the choice of answering or refusing the call. 

I had this with my previous provider and apart from the odd occasion when someone would announce themselves, it worked perfectly. It was 'free', or rather it didn't cost any more, but it worked extremely well and makes Call Protect look a bit second rate. Call Protect is better than nothing though but I'm surprised that BT have been left behind on this.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the replies - can't do much else as mum's landline is also used for her emergency call pendant.

More than 100 in the blacklist is the only answer this time I think.

Rob.

0 Ratings