Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Drac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Lightning

Go to solution

I am 67yo and have had two heart attacks and nearly had a third when lightning struck last week!!!

Since then, the Sky+ box HDMI socket has ceased to work, the phones refuse to ring (BT Home Hub 2.0 and 2nd phone connected by wire) and when you dial in, you get coneected but then immediately disconnected.

We phoned today to inform BT of the problem and they tested the line saying all was OK

Went to the BT faults web page and watched the video

Connected just the second phone to the wall socket and it rings in and out successfully.

Add the ADSL box and problem back again

The hub phone doesnt ring at all

Put them all back together and broadband is fine but the phone problems remain.

Reading other messages on this forum and I see replacing the hub may be the answer? But I really can't afford to waste my pension on buying another hub if it is not going to resolve things.

My wife is due to go into hospital in just over a weeks time and I need the phone to be working properly

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Lightning

Go to solution

The storm has probably damaged the home hubs internal telephone circuitry.

If you just plug the phone into the main socket via the ADSL filter, but leave the home hub ADSL lead unplugged from the filter, does the phone work then?

Drac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution
Yes Keith, the phone rings properly, so I am assuming that the hub is kapput!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution

There is a surge protection device which goes short circuit and will loop the line, there is not a lot you can do about it unless you are skilled in electronics.

Do you have any BT hub phones, and do you use broadband talk? (the extra phone number)

Drac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution

Yes we have one BT Hub phone which isnt ringing at all and no, do not have BB Talk? I wouldn't even try to fix it. If it means a replacement hub, it will have to be done as paying for a line rental when we cant hear a phone ring or the caller cant stay connected, is a waste of line rental fee!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution

The new home hubs do not support the BT hub phone, but I think you can still find replacement home hub 2s on Amazon for about £27, and you should be able to re-register the handset against it.

Alternatively, you could ask BT for a replacement home hub, which would be a home hub 3, they may ask you to re-contract as your original home hub would be out of warranty now.

You would not be able to use the hub phone with the new home hub 3.

Drac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

Thanks again Keith. I have found the same home hub (unit only) on ebay for under a fiver. We have the cables still and the power plug. Will we be able to re program the phone with that. Obviously we would have to reset all our wireless passes

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution

No, there are two versions of the home hub 2, with different power supply units and they are not interchangeable, which is why the one on sale is probably without a power unit, as the power units themselves are not very reliable, and you may find it impossible to find one that will work with it.

Look at your home hub and see if its a type A or a type B. You will need a replacement of the same type.

0 Ratings
Drac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

You really have saved me a fiver at least - type B is ours and the one for sale was Type A

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

Its a case of buyer beware. I would see what BT have to offer, as they are usually quite keen to negotiate, you could well end up paying less for your broadband and get a free replacement hub, as new deals were launched yesterday.

0 Ratings