cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frequencycast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Line Down? Want an update? Come back in a week

After two BT vans did some work on a neighbour's house last week, we lost our landline & Infinity.

After reporting the fault and hearing nothing for two days, I chased using online chat.

I asked for an update, and was told no update was available until 07 August.

BT Line Issue - 01 Aug 2015

The online fault tracker reports "Sorry we cant complete your request at the moment due to a technical error"

Can BT seriously not get any information from Openreach about a line fault for a week?

And is "come back in a week" really good enough?

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to find out when I;m next allowed to ask for an update...

Pete

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Line Down? Want an update? Come back in a week

The normal wait for Openreach is 3 working days after a fault is reported weekends do not count in the time scale
0 Ratings
frequencycast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Thanks John - just wanted to confirm that six working days for an update was outside the norm.

Reading reports that as my service went down after Openreach visited a neighbour, possible they had run out of pairs so took mine, with a week's delay needed as no spare pairs.

Thanks,

Pete
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

that is extremely unlikely that is not an accepted practice
0 Ratings
frequencycast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Several cases of this happening, according to a Google search. Can you think of a more likely cause for line loss after Openreach visit neighbour that takes over a week to investigate?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

yes i can an accidental disconnection of a line at the pole DP and this does not mean reusing someone else's line
0 Ratings
frequencycast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Hi John,

Yes, I agree that would be a plausible reason, but from talking to an ex-BT engineer about this, it doesn't sound like the most likely cause.

My line went down whilst BT were working at a neighbours. Two engineers, two vans...

bt-fault-01.jpg

Too much of a coincidence for this to be unrelated.

Had a wire simply become disconnected, a) this apparently shows on the line test that can be done from the exchange, and b) this is a simple reconnection that's done in 1-2 working days.

My insider tells me that what is more likely is that the engineer was unable to resolve an issue with the neighbour, and his colleague found an alternate pair in the cabinet. He's used that, assuming they were dead. The engineers didn't climb the pole, so work was done only at the cabinet and the neighbour's property. I can accept that the disconnection was probably accidental not deliberate, but it has to be related.

The ongoing delay (six days and counting) is more likely to be due to a lack of spare pairs (line plant?)

BT's call centre seemed a bit surprised that the notes from OpenReach were vague. He them said:

"Pete i am sorry that a silly mistake by the engineer has disrupted the service in you're house but they will fix it. At this moment the back office haven't updated the further work they have carried out"

There are several other examples of similar things happening, according to some of the posts on this forum.

For that reason, I dont buy a coincidental break on the pole as a likely reason.

Pete

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

your waiting time can vary because of workload not the type of fault also spare pairs are checked before being used to avoid the problem you feel you may have
0 Ratings
frequencycast
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Appreciate you have to tow the party line John, but can you at least concede there is a chance that Openreach working on a neighbour resulted in my loss of service?

After years of unbroken service, my line packs up whilst the two BT vans in the photo are yards from my door. Do you honestly, hand-on-heart, feel this was just an unlucky coincidence? What are the odds?

Pete

Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

no I do not have to tow the party line yes as i posted they could have accidentally disconnected you but as to using your line a better chance of winning the lottery twice in a row
0 Ratings