cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hobbes199
Message 1 of 7

Line cord error on BT6500

During the massive storm last night we were hit and since then my BT6500 single has shown the 'line cord error' message. No incoming or outgoing calls available.

I've done the online line check and BT say that there's no fault, so is it definitely the phone that's dead?

Really can't afford the £129 call out fee if it is likely to be the phone. 

(Also, if I do have to replace it, can I just get another base unit or do I have to get a whole new set up?)

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Line cord error on BT6500

Try a different phone to see if it works, you can get a cheap corded phone for under £10.

Have you tried all of the tests on this page?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9812/c/345,353

If you have a single phone and base, then you will have to buy the same, but you can register the original phone to the new base, and that will give you two phones.

Hobbes199
Message 3 of 7

I'm off to get a cheap phone now, and have gone through all the tests with no luck.

I take it that if cheap phone works then I'm safe to call out BT to get a look at the line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If the cheap phone works, then the problem is yours, and calling out BT will cost you £129.99, as there is no BT fault.

0 Ratings
Hobbes199
Message 5 of 7

Sorry, meant to say doesn't work, and a second phone didn't work. Can't even get a dial tone and it worked at the house of the person I borrowed it from.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@Hobbes199 wrote:

Sorry, meant to say doesn't work, and a second phone didn't work. Can't even get a dial tone and it worked at the house of the person I borrowed it from.

And was that at the test socket? If so, then its an external fault and will need a visit from an Openreach Field Technician.

You can arrange this via BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
robboz
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I have line cord error no link to base message when setting up my new BT 8500. I can get a dialling code on my single additional handset and a test call I made from my mobile rang on both phones and the Guardian worked.

I am using the exact connections used by my old phone.  Doing something silly?

0 Ratings