Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 2

Line crackle possible causes - Broadband disconnecting

Hi,

I have had an ongoing problem for quite some time now - potentially a year or so.

I am currently on a G.fast product. Occasionally, perhaps a couple of times a month my broadband just goes down and stays down. If I check the landline by dialling 1471 I hear crackling on the line (via my Gigaset N300A IP base station)

If I wiggle the BT socket end of the phone cable the crackling stops and my broadband modem can once again sync. All is well for a few weeks and then the same thing happens again.

This happened also happened prior to the G.fast upgrade so can't put it down to that.

What I have tried so far:

• New Gigaset base station and cable
  • New Master socket and G.fast face plate (BT engineer fitted when upgraded to g.fast)
  • New cable from phone to socket (different brand)

Nothing seems to prevent the crackle from returning every few weeks and I just don't understand why.

Why is it that just wiggling the wire can fix it instantly but no amount of new cables or sockets is fixing the issue. I keep thinking there must be some kind of bad connection between me and the cabinet but again, why does it resolve instantly and last a couple of weeks just with a wiggle of the wire. 

Perhaps it's just a feature of the Gigaset base, but I see no-one else complaining about this. I'm a bit stumped.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Line crackle possible causes - Broadband disconnecting

The most basic test is using a corded phone in the test socket and then dial 17070 option 2. Should be completely silent   Any noise needs to be reports to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings