Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moojuiceuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Line dead - no dialtone since 26/2/14

Hi

Can a BT moderator have a look at my case please?

My phone has been off since Wed 26/2/14. BT anticipated a repair by Monday 3/3/14. Line is still dead (no dialtone) as of today 7/3/14.
My broadband still works fine (on FTTC, 80m from cabinet), so there's either a break in the line to the exchange after the cab or an issue in the exchange. I am told the issue affects several people near me as well and despite calling India and sending texts to India asking what the fault is and when it will be fixed, they cannot give me a straight answer. Surely BT retail have access to some level of reporting from Openreach?

On the Woolston exchange in Southampton, Cabinet 10. Can give further details to a mod including VOL number if needed.

Cheers, Wes.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Line dead - no dialtone since 26/2/14

have tried the service status web page for more help https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31
0 Ratings
moojuiceuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

I've kept an eye on that service status page. No mention of Southampton 02380 or Woolston area exchanges with issues 😞
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Openreach will advise BT Retail when the fault is cleared not what the problem was or when it will be fixed all times quoted are estimates
0 Ratings
moojuiceuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Well Ive had a call today from BT. Still no fix. Expected date is now Wed 12/3/14. Two weeks from when it was reported. When I asked the chap what the exact nature of the fault was, he found on screen it says - fault on cable between PCP 10 and exchange affecting multiple customers. Rather shocked to think it's taking Openreach two weeks to either rejoin or pull a new section of cable through!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

pulling a cable can take a long time especially if the whole PCP has to be rewired you are looking at 500 pairs + all of which have to be individually checked and tested also the old damaged cable may have to be removed from the cable ducts before the new cable can be laid not an easy or quick job
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

E-Side work is very complex, you cant just go opening up manhole covers and start to pull apart joints.

E-Side ducts are pressurised to prevent water getting in, most E-Side cables can go anything up to 3600 pairs and have been in the ground since the 1960/70's. If you were to just open them up and release the pressure the ducts could become flooded and potentially knock out service to thousands of customers as well as causing hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of damage.

You'll just have to sit tight and wait. Also you're one in a million, most people couldn't care less about not having a working phone as log as their broadband still works.
0 Ratings
moojuiceuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Funny that, your comment on the manhole covers. Well the E-side duct down the road where I think the issue is, has been left open for over a week now with a barrier around it. Theres a rather large amount of water in the chamber (no flooding in that area) and theres a team 50 yards down the road digging the gas main up!

As for the phone, my old man uses it all the time. I'm happy enough with a mobile and online. I'm more miffed at paying for something I'm not getting.

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

How do you know that cover is access to an E-Side duct?

Given what you've just described that will be a D-Side foot way box. There not pressurised. The cables in there are coated in grease to prevent water Ingres.

Don't go pretending to know what your talking about, it doesn't suit you.
moojuiceuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

@Helios wrote:
Don't go pretending to know what your talking about, it doesn't suit you.

Personally, I think that is rather rude and belittling. You do not know me, nor do you know my education or background. I mentioned that the local BT manhole cover has been left open for over a week, and as such, has now been flooded in the rain. Greased cables or not, it doesn't help matters.

At the end of the day - I am a customer who is not getting a service I've paid for and have come on here to see if I can get it fixed. Not getting much joy in that aspect.

0 Ratings