Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Line fault, intermittent Ring Trip!

Go to solution

This problem started over a week ago. I think this is called “Ring Trip”

It comes and goes but as of this morning it seems 100% fail on the phone not ringing or maybe blipping (checked with 2nd phone) I have missed several calls.

Either the phone blips or doesn't ring at all but if very quick when it blips call can be picked up! (calls can be made)

I've disconnected everything including pulling out the socket on the NTE5 master socket isolating the house wiring but when I call using my mobile it doesn’t ring or blips, no ring sound but call appears to get picked up for 1 or 2 seconds, sometimes with some line noise and then hangs up.

Tried this many times.

But why is this test no longer being done by BT but still saying they have just tested when they have not nd displaying the fault is in the home when it isn’t! IMO.

Now I'm worrying about getting billed for a repair that isn’t a fault inside my home!

When I done the test last week it rang the line after a few minutes and it worked, then the line started working after that test and was ok until this morning.

But when I use the online test now it says instantly the fault is in my home, which is interesting as it’s NOT testing the line!!!

E.g.

“Line check result

hanks for waiting, we've tested your line and here are the results. (there was no wait as it didn’t run a test)!!!

The problem is likely to be in your property etc etc….

BUT it’s not testing the line this time because this message comes up as soon as I click. It seems to be bypassing the ring test and just putting up that graphic indicating error in the home (which I have isolated)!

I could understand if this was a dead line, why bother testing! But this is an intermittent fault as the phone blips so sometimes I know I have an incoming call!

Can I speak to a real person at BT as this auto fake test is a joke?

Note; If I use my landline to run the test I get a call bip but it didn't ring! Will BT think it passed the test when this happens? I wasn't near the phone to pick up!?

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Line fault, intermittent Ring Trip!

Go to solution

If you have proven the fault out of your house, then you should not be charged. I would not rely on the accuracy of the Line Test System for location.

You will just have to request a visit, so the external network can be checked.

0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

Thanx for the reply

Actually I've just noticed that OpenReach when here last some years ago when they installed the new NTE5 didn't put new wiring from top of door frame to the box at base of door, just over 2m drop.

This is when the street pole and wiring was changed for all properties from pole to houses, real shame they didn't bother changing that last 2metre's of what looks like 50 year + cable.

Does this cable count as internal to my home or external as it's connected into the back of the NTE5 via a 2nd very old looking connection box?

Can't see how that is the problem anyway as not been anywhere near it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

The old screw terminal junction boxes do suffer from damp and corrosion especially near a door. If the fault is proven to that, then they may charge for a visit to replace it.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

Thanx

I guess that could be the issue although been no rain here for a long while appart from today and the problem started during the dry weather period.

Should OpenReach have changed that small run of cable at least and maybe the old junction boxes when they recabled all the houses from the pole to the inside top junction box?

I'm guessing the answer is no Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution
Maybe worth getting a hairdryer out and drying that connection box. could save a few quid
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Hi Devon_Dave

Thanx for the tip.

I just took the cover off and it looks bone dry but I'll give both boxes a blast anyway!

Any other tips on isolating the problem would be appreciated?

Hopefully there are some other things I can try before possibly coughing up £130 for what could be a very simple fix?

Can someone tell me what is the main course of "Ring Trip" ?

i.e. Internal home or external wiring or exchange issue!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution
a ring trip is normally caused by a partial or rectified short circuit across the pair of
the telephone wires. it is not sufficient enough for the exchange equipment to think someone has picked up a handset Up and hence send dial tone down the line and make the line engaged when someone calls in. When someone calls number a line with a partial loop the telephone exchange sends a voltage of approx 90v ac down the line. electricity always takes the path of least resistance so rather than the voltage going through your telephone "bell/ringer" it goes over this rectified/partial loop. the exchange equipment thinks you have picked the handset up and stops sending the ringing
current/voltage and connects the caller through. hence the trip.

Normally caused by dampness anywhere from the phone anywhere back to the telephone exchange.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

Hi Devon_Dave

Many thanx for the detailed info, that is exactly what's been happening. Normally line picks up by itself, I get a 2 second connect, crackle or small hiss then hangs up.

I've gone through a few steps of elimination, not all listed but just the main points

Disconnected the 1st of the junction boxes at top of door. Phone line rings after doing this so proves problem is in the home.

I then ran a new wire pair to the NTE5, problem then came back, even with the pull out isolation port or whatever it’s called.

Then wired direct to the back plate if that’s the correct term, phone starts ringing again.

So basically the NTE5 is faulty or maybe has damp inside but it’s spotless by the looks of it.

The OpenReach guy that was here some years back also used the original 4 inch stretch of wire to the bottom junction box. I could understand maybe him leaving the wire drop from top junction box to the bottom one but to install a new NTE5 and used the really old wire for that was annoying to see, but hay, the old wire and junction boxes are not to blame anyway, just the new–ish NTE5

So what I should have done was remove that top junction box conneton to start with as that was the quick answer if the issue was inside or outside the home! Doh...!

So I guess I now have to go buy a new NTE5 and clean up the mess I’ve made, at least it’s working as a temp fix.

Can anyone suggest the best model or version of NTE5 to purchase?

Thank to all for advice and info, greatly appreciated.

0 Ratings
SuperSocket
Contributor
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

New NTE5 installed and working.

While rewiring the new cable drop to it and removing the very old wiring I found that the OpenReach engineer didn't wire things 100% correctly. Didn't stop things from working but some wiring was isolated and some was not!

This means by removing the old NTE5 inspection port it wasn't fully isolating the internal wiring from BT. Oooops..

In the end probably better I did this my self as that wiring mistake may not have been found as at a glance it looked fine and also I didn't feel 100% sure I wouldn't be charged. And because it had been wired incorrectly the fault could have still been in my home wiring even with the NTE5 inspection port removed!!!

Thanx again for info and advice by all responders.

0 Ratings