Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
behaviour
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Line issue - What do I do now?

Go to solution

We live in a semi-rural property, though only a mile or so from our small exchange. After the last 'storm' a little over two week ago we found that we had an intermittent crackle/disturbance on our phone line. During most calls it would happen in small 1-2sec bursts every min or so, yet other calls it was constant and almost impossible to hear the person on the other end of the line (one thing to note, there seemed to be no issue with outgoing audio, they hear us fine).

At around the same time we started to notice a severe reduction in our internet (infinity1) speeds.

We arranged for an engineer to come and check the line, after first agreeing to paying the fee if it was proven to be our fault not BT's. They visited today, plugged in their box of tricks and found no problem on the line. I dialled 17070 and chose option 2 for the quiet line and sure enough after around 50 secs I heard the noise and so did the engineer. He said again that he could find no problem on the line.

He then said he would check at the exchange end, just in case. That was 4.5 hours ago and I suspect he has long since moved onto his next job. I checked the phone line again and the intermittent noise is still there.

I'm at a loss as to what I can do next. Do I arrange for an engineer to come out again just to run the same tests and tell me all is fine with my line?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Line issue - What do I do now?

Go to solution

As this is a repeat fault.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @behaviour,

We will look into your fault for you. We can also flag the fault to Openreach as an intermittent fault so they know what's happening. There is a good chance that we will need an engineer providing our initial tests don't locate the fault. We will be your single point of contact and will do our best to get it fixed.

To reach us, click on my user name and then on contact the mods. Once you reach the top of our queue we will be in touch.

Thanks

DanielS

Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @behaviour,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your home number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you today. I can see that another engineer visited this morning. How did things go with the engineer?

I'm in the office until 9PM today, and would be happy to give you a call. Please can you let me know what would be the best time to call?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
behaviour
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @PaddyB

An engineer did call this morning but unfortuantely did not find any fault. I had called the quiet line just 20mins before he arrived and heard the strange noise immediately but rather typically it stayed silent whilst the engineer was present.

I unfortuantely had to rush off into the office not long after he left so I was not home to take your follow up call. I'm home now until around 6pm and then again from 8pm onwards.

I've tried the quiet ine test a couple of times since I arrived back home and it seems clear at the moment, although according to my router the broadband has only been up for 25mins suggesting it has been dropping out whilst I was away.

I note that around 18months ago OpenReach installed fibre cables along the poles along my lane. Would this make FTTP more of a realistic option? I'm 1500m from the exchange itself so fear it woudl be too costly to install

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @behaviour,

Thank you for taking my call yesterday evening. I've reported the fault back to Openreach as an intermittent issue. They are monitoring the line and I expect and update tomorrow. I'm out of the office and back in on Friday and will follow up with you then.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
behaviour
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks @PaddyB. I found a definite pause in webpages loading this morning and checking the router I saw the connection had reset again.

Hopefully the engineers will find the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your help so far!

0 Ratings
behaviour
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@PaddyB Can you please confirm that it was today (Monday 12th) that an engineer was supposed to visit?

I waited in all afternoon and nobody came. Phone line and broadband have been terrible all weekend

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @behaviour,

Thank you for taking my call this morning. I'm glad to hear the engineer has been out and identified and fixed the fault with the overhead cable. I've ran a few checks on your connection and its looking really good at the moment. 

The speeds have increased back up to 21 Mbps. I'm really sorry that the repair took a lot longer than expected but I think we've got it this time Smiley Happy

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings