cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suicas
Message 1 of 8

Loose cable between house and utility pole - who should fix?

Go to solution

After some recent stormy weather, the end of the overhead cable attached to my house (from a nearby utility pole) is hanging loose with wires and connectors exposed.

I've spoken to BT 3 times about it, and they told me every time that I need to contact Openreach about it, since there's no service disruption, and that Openreach maintain the network.

I've spoken to Openreach 3 times now, and they said they're absolutely not responsible, and that BT need to open a ticket with them, they won't do anything on my behalf (they also complained that BT keeps sending customers to them, when it's BT that should be opening tickets on the customer's behalf).

Does anyone who who's telling the truth and who's actually responsible for looking into this? No-one seems to care unless there's an actual outage of some sort. It seems it'd be easier to fix now, instead of waiting for the next strong winds to pull the cable off completely.

Or should I just have a go at fixing myself? I don't know if much current runs through those cables, or whether it's safe or not though.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Loose cable between house and utility pole - who should fix?

Go to solution

Unless its a safety hazard, or you have no phone service, no action will be taken by Openreach.

You are not allowed to touch it yourself, as its the property of Openreach. If its on a shared utility pole, then you may also risk electrocution.

0 Ratings
suicas
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Ok, so touching it myself sounds like a bad idea! It is on a shared pole, with lots of cables going to other houses.

I'm just a bit nervous just waiting for it to get pulled out next time there's some strong wind, there are lots of kids that play around our road, would be happier knowing the cable was secured properly.

0 Ratings
suicas
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

In case it helps, I've taken a picture of the cable where it's attached:

c.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

If you get a fault on your phone as a result, then you can report it to BT.

If it is a health and safety issue then

I want to report damage to your equipment or network 

We want to know immediately if any part of our network has been damaged or poses a risk to public health and safety.

Damage:If you see broken or missing manhole cover, telephone poles that have been blown down by gales, street cabinets that have been affected by flooding or obviously vandalised, please dial 0800 023 2023 and select Option 1. (This number is reserved for calls about our network. The operators won’t be able to help with other issues.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Those are crimp connectors, and do not normally allow moisture in, so I would not worry about it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Looking at the picture, it looks to me like the incoming cable is still well secured.  In which case, so far as Openreach are concerned, if it's working then there's nothing wrong.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
The actual wire from the pole would be secure with a curly dropwire clamp. The only issue you may have in the future would be the grease filled crimps blowing in the wind and breaking off but openreach or your CP would not be interested until you loose service.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings