Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JonH1982
Message 1 of 6

Loose phone line (external)

Go to solution

Hi,

Having been passed around various departments I'm resorting to look to you kind souls for some advice!

There's an old disconnected phone line connected to my house from a nearby telegraph pole (if that's what you still call them!!)  The particular line hasn't been used for 10+ years, maybe more.  The bracket attaching it to the house has recently come loose from the house causing it to hang down.

I'm trying to find out who is responsible for making it safe?  I'd have imagined it's still BT's equipment but BT keep referring me to Virgin - Virgin correctly point out that they provide my phone line through their own Fibre Network so it's nothing to do with them.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Loose phone line (external)

Go to solution
0 Ratings
JonH1982
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks - maybe I'll have to give them another go - I've rung them already and they referred me to Virgin!

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
I suspect that whoever of have spoken to hasn't grasped what you are driving at, if they ask who is your phone provider and you say Virgin, that is obviously going to confuse the issue. As already said, if you have called BT , they quite rightly will tell you to go away as you are not a customer and what you want has nothing to do with them. If you have managed to speak to Openreach, well done, they don't normally speak to consumers....Openreach do not go around taking wiring down just because the property doesn't currently use a provider that uses Openreach infrastructure , after all you may move and the new occupant may want to use Sky or BT etc, or you may want to leave Virgin as some point...if the wiring is dangerous then OR would respond and take down anything that was unsafe....if you speak to them , I would just say you don't have a landline at all to save confusion
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@JonH1982 it's Openreach who you need to contact about this on via the details @Keith_Beddoe posted previously. If it's loose and looks like it could fall let them know it's unsafe and they'll come out to reattach it. Don't mention you have a line service with any provider to save confusion. 

0 Ratings
JonH1982
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks both!

0 Ratings