cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Lost Landline Number During Move

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2 & @Matt-S 

Sorry for troubling you both, I have seen you have assisted someone else with a similar issues and hope you can help me also, or get someone to help me.

We use to have BT at my mums, and we changed to Virgin a few years ago,  I did a move back to the house, and closed down my old Virgin account, but they offered me to do a move in stead of closing the account. I checked with them that the number at my mums could come accross when the move was completed, as otherwise i wouldnt have done it and i was assured on 2 occassions it would be done. However, this was not the case as I found out after it had all finally been installed, that as it was the same provider and address it couldnt be done, so the number has been lost.  But it might have come back to BT?

This number had been at the house for over 40 years, in its orignal 5 digits then 6.

I really want to get this number back, and happy to have a BT line to be able to do this, but just need the reassurance it is still possible to do so and can be done?

Regard

Matt

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Lost Landline Number During Move

Go to solution

If you gave it up over 2 years ago have you tried calling the number in case it has been reallocated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

We had the number ported over from bt to Virgin originally.

Virgin "lost" the number in the move  on 01 Dec 2020, there were other problems with the install and it didnt get resolved/fixed until 16 Jan 2021 and I found out 17 Jan 2021 it was lost.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

If it was only in December it was lost the if BT originally only way to get back would be to get a phone line from BT Retail and  new number.  Once set up you can then request your old number   there is never any guarantee but should go OK   there are numerous similar posts if you use search 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly for the reply.

I have seen a couple of these posts, so know its possible, I would like the reassurance that BT has the number and its been saved, and also discuss the way forward with doing it.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@Matt8899 

As @imjolly  has asked, have you rung the number to see if its now free?

If the number is owned by BT Retail, then the only way you will get it back, is by becoming a BT Retail customer. You would also need to be living at the same address as when the number was first issued to you.

You will be given a new number to start with, so you will have to ask for a re-number back to the number you want, there is a small charge for this. There is not normally a problem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe  and @imjolly 

I have just rung the number, and just getting 3 long bleeps and phone saying invalid number. 

I am at the same address where the number was originally issued too.

As said I am happy to get a new BT line and go through the motions of renumbering. I have seen on some threads where the moderators have reserved/saved the number for this process. I am looking for the same reassurance that his has been done for my number and once done I will process an order for a new line, and ask for renumbering.

Regards

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

I don't think anyone can guarantee that you will get the number but if normal channels don't work then mods will help but again no guarantee

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@Matt8899 

There is no need to reserve the number, as it will not be re-allocated for a long time, and possibly never, as the demand for landline numbers is declining.

Once the service is active, if you have any issues with the renumbering, then a moderator can be asked to help.

Bear in mind that in 2025, BT hope to cease the existing exchange equipment, but alternative arrangements should be in place by then, and should not affect the number allocations.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Thank you @imjolly 

0 Ratings