Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Lost Landline due to Virgin mistake

Go to solution

Hello, I am new to this sub because of an issue that arose as yesterday and have been on a wild goose chase since. 

@Keith_Beddoe , @JohnC2 ,  I hope you don't mind me including you on this because of this post.

I am in the same situation as that post, where we've had the telephone number for over 30 years. I was with NowTV for the past year and decided to switch to Virgin in April, including a full number port. The installation was scheduled for 9th May, which was completed successfully. I was informed via text that the port has a delay and would take 7-10 days to resolve. My NowTV was to cut-off yesterday (12th), as that was the last day of my contract. 

I rang Virgin this morning who admitted that although the port request had been made, it was the wrong type. I've contacted NowTV, who have informed me that the number was cut off as soon as my contract ended. I've tried seeing the allocation on Magenta, after reading about it online, and it is saying that it is allocated but I am not sure what that means.

Is there anything that can be done? The post I have linked gives me some hope.

Thanks in advance,

Preyesh. 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lost Landline due to Virgin mistake

Go to solution

@preyeshchauhan 

NowTV would not be able to port your number to Virgin, because NowTV did not own your number, it belonged to BT Retail, and would have returned to BT Retail when your NowTV service was cancelled. It will now be held by BT for re-allocation to another BT customer, some time in the future.

The only way to get your number back, would be to return your landline service back to BT Retail.

Virgin should be able to provide you with TV and broadband, without a phone line.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the prompt response.

If I now ring BT to sign up for a phone line, will I be able to request the allocation of my old number? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@preyeshchauhan wrote:

Thanks for the prompt response.

If I now ring BT to sign up for a phone line, will I be able to request the allocation of my old number? 

No not right away, you will have to accept a temporary number to start with, as your old number would have been stopped and the sales people would not be able to access it.

Once you have a working BT Retail line, then if you post back here, then one of the moderators should be able to ask for a manual renumber back to your original number.

Its never 100% guaranteed, but its not normally a problem.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hello! 

Hope you are well.

My BT is now active and my landline number is 01527 ******* but needs to be changed to my original number of 01527 *******.

Thanks! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.
Please bear in mind that with the current crisis, it could take a long time for one of them to deal with your request.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @preyeshchauhan and thanks for posting.

I'll take a look at this for you. I've dropped you a private message so you can get in touch.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi,

I sent a response to your private message on the 1st but I am not sure if you received the details.

If you have, please can you give me an update on what's going on? I tried to send a personal mesaage but it woulnd't allow me so I am posting back on here.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @preyeshchauhan we have received your details and Paddy is looking into getting this number back for you. He will be in touch and update you as soon as he hears back from them.

cheers

John

0 Ratings