Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amzlod
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Lost Landline number

Hi there,
I was hoping for some help and advice.
I have had a number for about 10 years, and unfortunately last year moved from sky to Virgin Media. I asked for the number to be transferred as my whole family has it and it was my main point of contact.
Unfortunately, the transfer didn't take place and I lost it. I was in a contract for 12 months with VM and so was stuck.
I have called it every now and then and it seems that no one answers it, so I think (hopefully) it hasn't been used yet by anyone else. It rings, but nothing happens.
Is there a chance of getting the number back at all? My contract is now up and so I am looking to move to someone who may be able to get that number back - if at all possible.
Hope to hear from someone soon.
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Lost Landline number

Welcome to this user forum. @Amzlod 

This is a BT Retail forum for BT Retail customers, and cannot help with number porting between other providers. BT only has control over number ranges that are owned by BT Retail, so unless your number was originally issued by BT Retail, there is nobody on this forum that can help.

Each provider has their own number ranges.

You would have to take up the issue with Sky or Virgin media.

Was it Sky who first gave you your phone number?

0 Ratings
Amzlod
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Hi Keith,
Thank you for your quick reply.
It was a BT number first of all.
Sky and VM seem to be unable to help, even though it was their fault that it got lost in the first place.
The number rings, but nothing happens, and it has been like this since the transfer happened.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

@Amzlod wrote:
Hi Keith,
Thank you for your quick reply.
It was a BT number first of all.
Sky and VM seem to be unable to help, even though it was their fault that it got lost in the first place.
The number rings, but nothing happens, and it has been like this since the transfer happened.

Then the number would have reverted back to BT Retail, which is probably why the number port failed as you cannot port it out twice.

Are you still living at the same address that you were, when BT Retail first issued your number?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

If you want to check to see who actually owns your phone number, then

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

You can then see if it is BT Retail who owns your number.

Amzlod
Beginner
Message 6 of 23

Hi Keith,
Yes I'm still here.
Will that help?
0 Ratings
Amzlod
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Hi Keith,
Yes the spreadsheet says BT..
Are things looking positive to getting the number back?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

If you are living at the same address, then your number will exist on the local BT exchange.

There should normally be no problem getting your number back if you transfer your phone service to BT Retail.  Not sure what you want to do about Virgin Media, that is something you will have to deal with.

You would initially be given a new number, but once it is active, you can request a renumber back to your original number. At that point you may need help from one of the forum moderators who will read this thread and help you to get your number back.

Its never 100% guaranteed, however in most cases there is no problem.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

I assume that VM gave you a totally new phone number?

0 Ratings
Amzlod
Beginner
Message 10 of 23

Thanks Keith,
You've given me a little hope!!
Yes, they gave me a new number.. I managed to pass it to the main services, gp etc but rest of family still have the old number. I guess I've spent the year just hoping.
0 Ratings