cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lezster1966
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Lost landline number during broadband switch please can you help

Hi I lost my landline number during a home move . Before we moved house my husband contacted sky to tell them about the move and asked them if we could take our phone number with us has we have had this number for the last twenty five years and sky said we could.so we moved house which is next door to the house we have lived in and we realised that we had a different number not our original one . We rely on our landline number a lot for different things and contacted sky to tell them and they told us that they don’t port numbers. If that’s the case we wouldn’t have gone with them but they told us we could take our number I am very upset with this and we have cancelled our contract with them and going back to bt in hope we can get our number back. I would be very grateful if you help us it would mean a lot to us many thanks...

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Lost landline number during broadband switch please can you help

was the number issued by BT originally at your previous home before you moved next door

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

@Lezster1966 

As @imjolly  has said. If your number was originally issued by BT, at your original address, then its quite likely the house next door is connected to the same exchange.

If that is the case, then moving back to BT retail should enable you to get your number back. You would initially be given a new number, but a manual renumber request can be arranged via this forum. Its never 100% guaranteed, but it usually happens.

Its very important that you have not moved before, as you may be out of the exchange area now.

If you are in a contract with Sky, then it could cost you a lot of money to cancel it.

When did you first move from BT Retail to Sky?

Sky could not have ported your number to your new address, as the number belonged to BT Retail, and would have returned to them, when you did your house move.

0 Ratings
Lezster1966
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Yes the number was issued by bt twenty three years ago and when we moved to our previous property that’s when we changed to sky worst thing we ever done is to change and now we have lost our original number which we are very annoyed about hope someone can help us please.....

0 Ratings
Lezster1966
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Yes it was originally issued by bt and yes we are still connected to the same exchange.we will now contact bt for our new broadband/ landline in hope they can retrieve our original phone number that sky have lost ....

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@Lezster1966 

Some clarification is needed on this.

What property were you living in when BT first gave you your phone number?

Is that the same property as you have just moved from, or was it somewhere totally different?

To get your number back, the property you are now living in, has to be connected to the same physical exchange as your original address, not just the dialling code area.

Its not clear from what you have said.

0 Ratings
Lezster1966
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

We have moved three times in the last twenty five years and remained in the say exchange area with the same telephone number now...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Lezster1966 wrote:

We have moved three times in the last twenty five years and remained in the say exchange area with the same telephone number now...

Its not just the exchange area, it has to be the same physical exchange. In other words, the name of the exchange must be the same.

If you are sure that is the case, then all you can do is to request service from BT Retail.

You will be given a new number, and you may not find anyone who can help you get your original number back.

If you do encounter any issues, then once your BT service is active, then post back here, and one of the moderators can be asked to help.

0 Ratings
Lezster1966
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Ok I will post back when we request the service off bt which my husband will do tomorrow thank you for your advice..

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 10 of 11

Hi @Lezster1966  Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Just to let you know you can place your order online and you may get a better offer but you can also call and place an order.

Either way once you have placed your order as @Keith_Beddoe  points out you will be allocated a "new" number.  Once you have received this number then reply to the Private message I've sent you explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be able to check that the exchange is the same for both numbers. 
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Cheers
John 

0 Ratings