cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AK172
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Lost landline number during broadband switch - please help?

Hello

My parents recently switched their broadband provider from the Post Office to Now TV (activation date 28/11/19). Despite requesting to keep their landline number, they have been allocated a new one and have been informed by both providers that their old number is lost! My parents are distressed at the loss of their landline number which they have previously had for over 40 years and holds has sentimental value for them. Also, my Dad is self-employed and relys on customers reaching him on this number. Given that their original supplier was BT who they were with many years, and they have not moved addressed, I'm hoping that I can get this number back for them. From reading previous posts, I understand that this could possibly be achieved by switching to BT? Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Amy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lost landline number during broadband switch - please help?

There are a few posts like yours recently and if you have read them then you know that you would first need to be a BT Customer before the forum mods could try and help you.  The mods can try and get the number if originally allocated by BT and Your parents are still at the same address when the number was originally allocated. There is no guarantees 

first need to transfer to BT or get a new phone line installed ith a contract with BT.  

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@AK172 

As @imjolly  has said, they would have to return to BT Retail, to get their number back, there is no other way.

The Post Office never owned the number, it belonged to BT Retail, so they could not have passed it on to Now TV.

Once they have become a BT Retail customer, please post back here, and help can be offered.

If the number was a BT Business number, then this forum cannot help, they would have to contact BT Business.

AK172
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thank you @Keith_Beddoe for your confirmation of the situation.

An order has been placed with BT today so they will soon be BT customers again.

The activation date for the BT order is 16/12/19.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@AK172 wrote:

Thank you @Keith_Beddoe for your confirmation of the situation.

An order has been placed with BT today so they will soon be BT customers again.

The activation date for the BT order is 16/12/19.

Right, I will ask the moderators to get involved at this point, as you have an active order. You will be able to provide them with your parents order details, and the phone number that they want back. They will need to speak to the account holder, for security reasons.

Do not post any information on this forum.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Message 6 of 6

Hi @AK172,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

It's great to hear that your parents are moving back to BT, hopefully we can get their old number back for them.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team so that we can check if it's possible to get the number back, fingers crossed.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings