Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daviddawson27
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Lost landline number

Go to solution

Hi I recently decided to switch to Virgin media from Sky I ported the number ( which is using BT exchange equipment) but, Virgin had a problem installing my line. I had to cancel Virgin & resign up to Sky unfortunately the number is now gone! Sky will allocate a brand new number. As the the phone number has been with the house since the 1920 I’m rather upset it can not be retrieved. There must be a way to retrieve the phone number. Is there anyway to get back my phone number?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lost landline number

Go to solution

Hi @daviddawson27 

Welcome to the Community.

Be prepared for comments telling you this is a BT Retail form, people can’t help you and / or to go to the Sky Community.

You might find this thread useful. Otherwise, I know of a company called RSR Communications which I believe can rescue the number for a fee. Couldn’t comment any further as I have never used this company and have only seen this mentioned elsewhere.

Thanks

--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
daviddawson27
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for your help I am willing to pay to get back the number so your link should be very helpful 

warmest regards David 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

If you have had the number fir that long then it will belong to BT and when you left sky it will have been returned to its owner BT.  unless the company suggested by @albertj can somehow get number from BT then only other way is to sign up to BT and hopefully get the number

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@daviddawson27 

Provided you are living at exactly the same address that you were when BT Retail first issued you with your number, it should normally be possible to get your number back, by moving all your services back to BT Retail.

You would initially be given a new number, but once it is active, you should be able to ask for help on this forum, to have it re-numbered back to your original number. It never 100% guaranteed, but it usually happens.

Its not possible to help if you are wanting the number returned to any other provider.

Bear in mind that moving providers could incur large cancellation charges if you are out of your cancellation period. That is something you will need to check.

Does that help?

P.S. Sky actually have their own equipment installed in the BT exchange, but can emulate a BT  number  that is ported to them, but the number always belongs to BT Retail, and will return to them, should an attempt be made to port it out again to another provider, which is why the port to Virgin failed. Porting is really just loaning a number for a specific period.

daviddawson27
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you for your advice 

I have decided to set up an additional BT landline & just pay for it £240 for a years subscription, is the best option!

hopefully BT will be able to transfer the number back to me 

warmest regards David 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@daviddawson27 When the new line is active, post back on this forum, and a moderator can be asked to assist with the renumber, as it may need manual intervention.

You may find this thread of interest https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Re-Lost-landline-number-during-broadband-switch-please-help/td-...

What I will do is to ask a moderator to comment now, as it may need your original number to be reserved.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @daviddawson27 

Thanks for posting. I can't make too many promises on getting this number back but if we can we will.

I have sent you a private message asking for some more details.

Thanks

Stuart

Community ModeratorStuartH
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”