cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
KevMog
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Lost my phone number when switching to Sky BUT can I get it back if I switch to BT line rental?

Lost my phone number when switching to Sky BUT can I get it back if I switch to BT line rental?

Hi, my elderly parents switched to Sky FROM TalkTalk for their phone & BB several months ago and between TT not wanting to release the number ( I believe)  and Sky wanting the money the switch went ahead even tho` Sky assured that if there were any probs the trans` would be halted.. Yeah pigs fly.. Smiley Mad

I know that this prob is between the evil twins but I have read that if the line was transfered to BT then the number could be recovered?

I have been told by TT that the number has been given back to Openreach and it is now not possible for them to re-activate it so Sky could then transfer it to them.

I have spent several months (on & off) many phone calls and emails/letters to try and resolve this..

Is this possible or have I been fed another load of untruths?

Could my father wait until he is out of contract with Sky and switch to BT if BT can recover his number?

I know that a diff number seems trivial but they are both getting on and keep forgeting they have a new number ( they had the number for 30+ years)

Any advice MUCH appreciated.. I had hair before all this happened 😞

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lost my phone number when switching to Sky BUT can I get it back if I switch to BT line rental?

with what has happened to you i am afraid the number will have gone for ever as it will have gone back to the pool of numbers  and depending on the demand for numbers from your exchange it may have already been reused 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Re: Lost my phone number when switching to Sky BUT can I get it back if I switch to BT line rental?

Its one of the risks you take, when you change service providers. Its a common problem which has been mentioned a number of times on this forum.

Service Providers like to keep you as a customer, and can make it very difficult for you, even though they are not supposed to.

Sometimes there are technical reasons why a number cannot be retained, especially if its a provider with their own exchange equipment and core network.

0 Ratings
KevMog
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the replies..

If the number is in this pool then surely BT could use it ?

I mean the line will be taken off any "unbundled" equipment in the exchange. So in effect it will be a new line and the number could then be used for it ..

Would you know who I contact at BT/OpenReach?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Openreach only deal with the local network. Have you tried ringing their original number and see if its been re-allocated?

If it is, there is nothing you can do. If its not, then by the time their current contact expires, it probably will have been allocated.

I suppose you could try ordering an extra line from BT, if the number you want is free, but I am not sure how you would persuade them to allocate the number.

0 Ratings