cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Lost number when service was disconnected in error

We were supposed to move house and as part of the move we were porting our number to Hyperoptic (BT speed at the new property is 11mbps, Hyperoptic can provide up to 1gbps). Due to the Coronavirus situation our move was cancelled, I asked Hyperoptic to stop the port at their end (they did this) and as a belt and braces asked BT to ensure the order to cease service was cancelled. On the day the port was due to be made my BT service was cancelled, after a lot of pain and many calls I was made to take a new contract to get my service back, however we have lost our existing landline number.

I was told once the service was re-instated I should call and it would be possible to recover the old number. I called on 08/04 and was promised it would be returned to us by midnight on 09/04. Of course that didn't happen. I phoned this morning and have spoken to 3 different customer service reps none of whom could re-instate the number for me.

I've seen similar issues posted on here and resolved my Mods. This number is very important to us, both my wife and myself have  medical conditions and this number is registered with hospitals, consultants etc. Can somebody contact me and help me through this nightmare?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lost number when service was disconnected in error

@martinmc1 

Welcome to this user forum.

Unfortunately, until your BT line is restored and working, it would not be possible to do anything about it, as your number would now have been returned back to BT Retail.

Once that has happened, then a renumber request back to your original number can be requested. This may need the assistance of one of the moderators, and is likely to take a while owing to the current crisis.

Bear in mind, that if you move house to an address which is not served by the same physical BT telephone exchange, then you will not be able to keep your old number anyway, as each exchange has its own unique number range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi, my line is restored, it has been since 08/04, I've been told the number is available, but nobody seems to be able to transferred back.

FYI - although it has no bearing on this issue....with regards to the new property, as my service will be provided by Hyperoptic which is a fibre service the BT exchange is irrelevant. Actually they allocated Leeds numbers throughout West Yorkshire so the location does not matter.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Bear in mind that they are quite busy, so its likely to take a few days before they pick up your case. They can normally arrange a renumber, but its never 100% guaranteed.

Your number will always belong to BT Retail, even if Hyperoptic agree to the number port when you move, its not always possible to port number from a physical exchange to a fibre service.

Any subsequent changes to the account, will result in the number returning back to BT on the original exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

Hi @martinmc1,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to hear that your number has been lost.

For us to place a renumber, it's a very straightforward thing to do. We enter your number, it tells us if it's available, we reserve it and send our request to Openreach who generally complete it within 1 working day depending on any changes to the directory. If this isn't working for us, it can mean that someone else has taken it, there's a fault or it's possible that the number was ported but hopefully it hasn't been.

I've sent you a private message with some information that I need to help.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings