cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_91
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Loud Crackling Noise/Slow Broadband Speed

A couple of weeks ago, I started getting loud crackling noises on my phone line and my brodband speed dropped to around 0.3 mbps.

I have tried using a different phone and router to see if the problem is with my equipment, but no luck. I've tried plugging the phone directly into the test socket as well without any filters, but this hasn't solved the problem either.

I was close to booking an engineer visit via the live assistance, but was informed that if a fault was found inside the boundary of my property then I would be charged £129.99.

The problem is, whilst the crackling happens most times, there are the odd occasions when it is fine. I'm concerned that when an engineer comes to visit, there'll be no crackling and I'll be charged £129.99 just for the call out. I do have a recording on my mobile of the problem but whether this will be sufficient evidence I'm not sure.

I'm not entirely clued up about the test socket and how they work. As I've mentioned, plugging the phone directly into the test socket doesn't solve the issue. Does this mean that the problem is definitely occurring outside of my property? (BT have ran a few tests already and have said they can't find a fault though).

Any advice on what action to take from here would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Loud Crackling Noise/Slow Broadband Speed

try connecting to test socket and then dial 17070 opton 2  should be silent no hiss/crackle and best with a coreded phone if cordless then dull hum normal

if noise on the line at test socket that would suggest it is outwith your property and problem for openreach.  however if it is intermittent and not there when engineer visits you could be charged.

report phone fault to 151 or use link 

phone faults

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Tom_91
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for your reply, imjolly.

I've tried using the 17070 line whilst connected to the test socket with a corded phone but no luck. In fact, the recording I made was done whilst on the quiet line. 

Here's the recording: https://soundcloud.com/tomhughes91/phone-line-1

This might be a daft question, but if I am charged £129.99 if a fault is found inside my home, does this charge cover the cost to fix the fault or will that be an additional charge?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

That would cover the engineer fixing the cause of the line noise. If noise in test socket that would suggest noise is outwith your home and openreach problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ljm
Expert
Message 5 of 18

Hello Tom, I think imjolly means if you still get the noise whilst connected to test socket the fault would be outside your home and so you would not be liable for the charge.
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

I think you will find depends on whatbid causing the noise. If it is your own internal wiring or equipment they will only disconnect the problem, you would then need to sort out your own repair. Openreach would still bill you for the visit.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

What is causing the problem. ( predictive text, aghhhh)
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Tom_91
Beginner
Message 8 of 18

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm pretty confident my equipment isn't the issue. I bought a corded phone just to make sure it isn't my current cordless phone that's the problem. Did the same for my router as well and used different cables, filters, etc.

So if I'm still experiencing the issue when connected to the test socket (which I am), I'm right to assume it's an outisde issue and I won't be charged?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Yes correct if the problem is at the test socket then it is non chargeable
Tom_91
Beginner
Message 10 of 18

Great!

Well I've booked an engineer to come tomorrow afternoon so I'll report back here after they've visited.

0 Ratings