Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicousvern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Master Socket Corrosion Replacement

Hello!

My landline compeltely died on me last night, so I've spent all today trying to fix it, reseting my router, testing wires etc. Well a couple of months ago the line dropped and an engineer visited and said it was due to damp. So that got me thinking, I opened the socket up and took it all apart (I'm on Inifinty 2 and the socket is a MK3), Found nothing.

Everything seemed fine, then I noticed on the initial faceplate the Blue & Yellow cables were connected to pins A & B (Red circle on image). I also noticed on the second faceplate there were also A & B pins (arrow on image).

socket.jpg

So I connected these and it now works! Albeit a bit slower and the odd disconnection, though my landline now no longer has any noise on the line.

So in the image above the faceplate dangling is now completely disconnected and is only screwed to the wall for aesthetic purposes.

The problem I found after dissecting the first faceplate was this circuit board, it had corrosion on it.

12380014_10153681844421013_504614125_n.jpg

Now I need a replacement for this, no idea what I'm looking for. I also tried talking to a BT representative who wanted to charge me £200! I told him all I need was a master socket and then he wanted £75! What the hell is up with that. I mean my connection is working now, I was at roughly 60Mbps now I'm at 40Mbps so its not a major loss.

I was hoping this would be an extremely inexpensive replacement.

My contract is up with BT so I guess I could go with Virgin, but I have to say I've loved my Infinty service so far best ISP I've had in a long while.

So yea sorry for the long post but if anyone could offer any advise or how to resolve this as I'd rather just keep my service it would be much appreciated, thank you!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Master Socket Corrosion Replacement

The front section looks like an SSFP. You can buy and replace these yourself, or simply plug a microfilter into the test socket.

Search for "openreach master socket mk3" about £17.

You will need to put those wires back to their original location, for the test socket to work.

The drop in speed you are seeing is because you probably bypassing the filter, and broadband is getting into the phone circuit.

I would also try and find out what is causing the corrosion.

0 Ratings
kommando
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Try seaching for BT faceplate on Amazon, thats where I got mine, get an IDC tool as well so you can connect it all up for £15 or so. As its inside your house BT want £129.99 to do the repair and its your responsibility !!!! 

0 Ratings
vicousvern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Yea the damp is unavoidable sadly. The socket is in a room with no heating. Thanks for the advise, will any faceplate work because I noticed there are different versions from like 2012 / 2014?
For example would this one suffice?
Thanks.

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 5 of 15

@vicousvern wrote:
Yea the damp is unavoidable sadly. The socket is in a room with no heating. Thanks for the advise, will any faceplate work because I noticed there are different versions from like 2012 / 2014?
For example would this one suffice?

Thanks.

@vicousvern

Can I just clarify with you what is "corroded"? is it this: http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/2012openreachbrandednte5.JPG or this: http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/mk3openreachbrandedvdslplate.JPG ??

We can then better advise what needs to be done. Smiley Happy

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
vicousvern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Neither of those, its the faceplate the one in the second image plugs into. I'll try and take a picture shortly, its in use at the moment.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 7 of 15

@vicousvern wrote:
Neither of those, its the faceplate the one in the second image plugs into. I'll try and take a picture shortly, its in use at the moment.

@vicousvern to make your life easier is it this bit: http://www.plus.net/images/support/broadband/testsocketa.jpg ?

where the test socket (marked in red) is, that's the part where Openreach's cables are connected and you would plug a telephone into the lower half (which is part of the 1st link I sent you) or the SSFP (Filter in the 2nd link I sent) and then your Router into the appropiate filter.

I hope that makes sense.

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
vicousvern
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Yes that's the exact part. The circuit in the port you outlined is the corroded one on the image from my post.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 9 of 15

@vicousvern wrote:
Yes that's the exact part. The circuit in the port you outlined is the corroded one on the image from my post.

@vicousvern thank you for confirming.  My concern is this, as far as I am aware (and this will most likely be confirmed by a more experienced user) that "circuit" is the responsibility of Openreach (who manage the infrastructure) and shouldn't be touched.  Moving on from that, it's a case of - will Openreach fix it at no cost?

I would suggest that a more experienced or knowledgeable person should answer this as confirmation.  I hope someone else reading this can clarify.

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

If e problem is due to damp then you will be charged for openreach visit £129.99

you can replace the socket but should you make a mess of it and cause any damage then you will be charged to repair socket and any damage you may have caused

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.