cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Master socket damaged

Go to solution

The landline BT installed in our property earlier this year and noticed at he time the front part of the new designed master socketdidn't quite fit snuggly to the part behind it. 

The old style sockets were either screwed back to the plate or had a slider on them. This new type is held by just a couple of pieces of plastic and as we had to unplug the phone and broadband to carry out a test due to a line fault, I note one of those plastic clips has failed.

It was probably a fault in manufacture or design and I could hold it back with a piece of sticky tape but I was wondering if I reported it to BT they would blame me and raise a charge for having it replaced?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Master socket damaged

Go to solution
Is it just the front of the socket thats damaged? The bit where you push the clips in at either side and it slides out?

If its the new NTE5C Mk4 socket i know you can get these online for about £8.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

If you have no phone extensions, you can just use the test socket if you do not want to pay for a replacement.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I was thinking along the lines that as it was, in my opinion, not well designed for being pulled apart for line tests, it should be replaced free of charge by BT?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

it's not BT it's owned by openreach so highly unlikely BT will pay and openreach are more likely to charge if now broken

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Okay - thats sorted it, a bit of gaffer tape will suffice.

I was going to mention elsewhere that BT were spot on last week when we had a line fault. Our homes phones started ringing for some unknow reason and after ten minutes of removing the lead from the socket, checking the batteries & finding that would stop it, I rang 150. All automated as it is nowadays said what it was and the system checked and said I had a line fault and it was being reported. In the meantime would I like calls diverted to the mobile phone I was calling on.

Didn't get a chance to see if that diversion worked as a hour or two later a nice guy at the exchange rang to say the card as old and damage and he was inserting a new one into the frame. 

Job well done.

0 Ratings