cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lukas1
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Master socket wiring problem

I've had a bit of a nightmare whilst removing wallpaper in my hall. I took down some cabling which I then managed to trip over. It turns out, it's come right out of the master socket. I have 4 coloured wires blue, orange, green and brown and 3 connection points, marked as 2, 3 & 5. Please see photo. Would anyone be able to advice which colour connects where? The master socket is a BT Openreach MK2. Many Thanks in advance.

IMG_20191212_143120.jpgIMG_20191212_143155.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Master socket wiring problem

@Lukas1 

Who provides your phone service?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Probably blue and orange in 2&5, doesn't matter which way round.

0 Ratings
Lukas1
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

It's my father's house. I believe it's BT.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

It will be pins 2&5 regardless, nothing in 3

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

that cable is not the incoming so must be going to an extension outlet in the home  check the extension and see which wires are connected to 2&5 and then do same at master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Lukas1
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I've found the extension on the second floor which seems to confirm blue 2, orange 5 but it doesn't seem to get the internet running again as I've now tried it several times.

IMG_20191212_155641.jpg

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If all you have done is pulled the wires out from the socket, replacing them in 2&5 should restore service. Are you sure you have pushed the wires fully home, did you use a proper tool or the blade of a screwdriver? If the latter, have you splayed the contacts so they are no longer displacing the insulation and making good contact with the wire. Do you get dial tone at the socket?

0 Ratings