cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MD1
Message 1 of 30

Master socket

Go to solution
I have an old bt socket that has only 2 connections using only plain orange and plain white wires. How do I connect these to a new master socket with 6 connectors
0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 30

Re: Master socket

Go to solution

Just connect one wire to terminal 2 and the other to terminal 5. That is only 2 terminals that are required

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
MD1
Message 3 of 30

Go to solution
Thanks I'll try that..
0 Ratings
MD1
Message 4 of 30

Go to solution
Thank-you, all good now.
0 Ratings
Lander66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

Hi, my daughter has a master socket which is in her back bedroom next to the window. This was already there when she bought the house. There was two extensions coming off the master socket, one of which I have removed as it was not needed and the other which is downstairs in the lounge and which reaches there by going back outside and runs along the side of the house to the front and then into the house. Looking at the "kit" it is old and was probably installed by BT. What I don't understand is that the telephone pole is at the front of the house and most of the neighbouring properties have their lines from the same pole connected at roof level which then drop and enter directly into the front of their houses. My daughter's for some reason crosses the flat roof from the first connection box to one on the back of her property and then follows the arrangement I've described. As you can see below the master socket is very old and there is no spare wire to play with, so why should I have to pay to have it moved and/or replaced with a new type?

20161002_130416.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution
the position of that master socket may have been requested by a previous owner of the house.
As far as getting it moved to where you want it as that is your choice you would have to pay. I believe the cost is around £130.
Also that is not your master socket. it is just a block terminal used to connect wiring together.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution
That's not a Master Socket. It's a BT80b. It's a connection terminal that joints and External type cable to an Internal one.
0 Ratings
Lander66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

Dave thanks for the answer, however, I assure you there is no other master socket in the house only one extension socket in the lounge which comes off this "master socket". If you look at the photo I posted you can see the incoming grey wires connected to the A and B screw terminals. The coloured wires are the outgoing extension cable that goes all the way back round to the front of the house and into the lounge, that's it. I accept that BT may want us to pay £130 to have it moved to the front, but will they fit a NTE5a Master Socket in the existing position as this is clearly a very old socket. There doesn't seem to be enough cable to fit one though. Could I fit one myself to the grey cable if there was enough cable to do this, or could I extend this cable in some way, maybe using this old (BT80b?) or a new block terminal? Would I extend using more grey cable or just the normal extension type cable? Looking at the current set up where would BT say the boundary between their equipment and ours is? Thanks for you help, you too John Roberts.

0 Ratings
Lander66
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

Thanks John R, if this is just a connector between external and internal wire in your opinion where is the BT/customer boundary?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Why do you actually want to do anything with it, the existing arrangement is perfectly satisfactory from a technical point of view. Any change would be purely aesthetic. The demarcation point will be the connector.

0 Ratings