Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timm
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Moving a BT Master Socket

Go to solution

Hi All,

Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I have had a trawl through the forum and cannot find a definitive answer.

I would like to move the Master Socket in my flat to a more convenient location and somewhere where it is not a trip hazard. I appreciate that I am not allowed to move this myself but I am not sure who I need to speak to to get this done. I tried OpenReach directly as that is what another post had led me to believe, but when they finally got back to me they said it wasn't them.

Any advice on who I should contact would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.s. I am assuming that this would be chargeable but if there is anyway of not incurring a cost for this then that would be great as well.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moving a BT Master Socket

Go to solution

it will be openreach who do the actual work but they do not deal with the public.  you need to go to your phone provider and if BT go to 150.  I think cost will be £99 maybe more.  another OP will probably give a better idea of cost

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

The cost is indeed to £99 to get them out, though I'm sure this price is subject to change but a simple move of the master socket would easily cost the £99 cost. 

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
timm
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks imjolly.

I rang my provider (BT) and have booked an engineer to come and move the Master Socket (or as BT would term the process, 'a shift').

The cost for anyone who is interested is £130 which seems a little steep to me, but there you go.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

if you use your master socket for broadband then try an make sure you get a filtered faceplate and not just a standard NTE5 master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings