cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BonfireLee
Message 1 of 5

Moving home, New line is Sky and cant get stopped? BT cant help?

Hi all, hope someone can help me out here.

I am with BT now and have been for couple of years (Phone / BB & TV) and want to stay with BT, i am moving house at the end of the week and thought i would simply phone up customer services and all would be sorted in a few days, but hit a nightmare hurdle.

Essentially BT Customer Services say the new home i am moving into has a Sky phone line and is still contracted to previous tenant and does not have a "stop" on the line until November, so BT apperently can do nothing for me until at least November.

I have health issues, not super serious but do need phone for medical uses, and i also need my Broadband as do online work from home for my employer (in fact my employment contract states i must have internet at home) so waiting over a month to have any contact with the outside world is not an option.

What can i get done? I have been in contact with the previous tenants and they just said "Sky said it will take at least 30days, sorry nothing we can do...bye". And BT tell me that there is nothign they can do at all until the stop date in November as its not there line and under contract Sky.

Been a loyal customer of BT for two years, always pay on time etc, and there doesnt seem to be much help or concern from BT about escalating a solution. Surely as the previous folks have moved out already (i already have keys) Sky can stop the line and BT can take it back no?

Anyone know of the right people or department to call? Or would calling Ofcom help?

I really cant be cut off from the world for over a month, ill end up getting sacked! 😞

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moving home, New line is Sky and cant get stopped? BT cant help?

sounds like the previous tenant did not cancel the service properly and BT are following the correct procedure in that case Ofcom can do nothing
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

I don't think there is anything BT can do until sky release the line and from you post sky are not interested in your problem

going to OFCOM won't help you as they do not deal with individual cases.  Maybe you should also consider a business line as  residential   lines should not be used for business as you describe and the poorer service level on residential lines may cause you a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I suppose you could simply order an additional line in your own name, then let Sky cease the old line when they are ready.

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

@BonfireLee, your employment contract insisting that you have a broadband connection at home leads me to ask the question, does your employer make a contribution to the costs of such a requirement? Keith_Beddoe's suggestion of ordering an additional line sounds a good one in your case.
0 Ratings