cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 4

Moving home

We will be moving in a couple of months, no date agreed as yet. I have a question and perhaps I can receive some advice here.

Bear in mind, I am deaf and my wife's mother tongue is not English so she is completely bamboozled by jargon! I noted on the "Moving Home" form on MyBT that there is no facility to request retention of our home telephone number. Since our move is some 200 yards and serviced by the same exchange, it ought to be, one would have thought, fairly simple to port our number which we have had for 20 odd years.

Any suggestions, please, so that when I have a date, I know what to do.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moving home

@Carlusha 

You will not see the option to retain the number, until the order is placed.  As the move is only a short distance, there should be no problem..

What normally happens is that when the order is placed, a temporary number is allocated to the job, as the existing number would still be in use, and a number is needed for Openreach to complete the work.

On the day of the move, the line could still be active on the temporary number, but will then be change over to the original number, overnight.

Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

Thanks Keith @Keith_Beddoe ). Appreciated.

How would I be able to advise BT that we wish to retain our existing number?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

@Carlusha wrote:

Thanks Keith @Keith_Beddoe ). Appreciated.

How would I be able to advise BT that we wish to retain our existing number?

That should be an option once you have a date, and have actually progressed the order. Until that point, BT will not know where you are moving to, so would not be able to give you the option of keeping the number.

If you have any problems after moving, then post back on the forum, and help can be offered.