Did you mean: 
Highlighted
WelshLady1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Moving house

Go to solution

Hi

I'm moving home in the next few weeks and have already contacted the 'moving home' team to transfer my BT broadband/phone package  to the new address.

I already own the house I'm moving into and have a BT account for that address (BT Basic) a landline and phone number there in my name.

I've been told that when the broadband/phone package is transferred from my old address to the new address I'll be given a new phone number and 24 hours after moving in I have to contact BT to get my 'old' number back, and there will be a 'good chance' that the number won't have been given to someone else.

As I already own the new house, have a BT account registered to that house, have a BT landline there, and a phone number, is there any way I can keep the existing number without BT giving me a new number and then me contacting them to get the 'old' number back.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving house

Go to solution

Unless the new house is connected to the same exchange as your current house, you would not be able to transfer your number.

They both have to be physically connected to the same exchange building, as each exchange has its own number range.

0 Ratings
WelshLady1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply, but in reading my original post I don't think I've made it clear enough, sorry about that

I don't want to transfer my telephone number from my current address to the new address when I transfer the broadband package.

BT have told me that when I move my Broadband package I can't use the existing phone number in the new house. They've said they will give me a brand new phone number for the new house. I then have to contact them 24 hours later to get the existing phone number ( in the new house) back

As I already own the new house, have a BT phone account at the new house and am the registered owner of the phone number at the new house I simply wish to retain that phone number when I move, rather than having a brand new number, then ringing BT to claim my original number back

Hope this is clearer sorry for any confusion

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I'm totally confused as to why you are transferring anything at all if you have service at the second property, simply cancel at your existing property.

0 Ratings
WelshLady1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I only have a landline at the new house (no Broadband) as I'm not living there yet.

I have a very good deal with BT at the moment at my current address so I wanted to transfer that deal to the new house rather than have a brand new package at the new house at a more expensive rate

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

New customers usually get a very good deal rather than more expensive. It depends how long you have on your existing contract what the cancellations charges would be but might be worth enquiring about new customer deals and doing the sums. Give the options team a call on  0800 800 030 and see what they offer.

0 Ratings
WelshLady1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Great thanks very much for your help with this

0 Ratings