cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sultan3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Mugged and had £129.99 stolen

og case ***EDITED***. (Home ***EDITED***) Extremely unhappy about charge of £129.99. Have already spoken to customer support three times. Customer care and complaints review have already refused to drop the service charge. Engineer states that there was damage at the junction box (52 A type box). I refute this. As this was not possible. Engineer report says that there was damage. Type of damage was not mentioned. I want to see the report. If there was damage at the junction box it must have been by the openreach engineer whilst he was testing the junction box. I still state that the fault was connected to the previous fault 6 to 8 weeks earlier, which took more than 2 weeks to repair externally. Internet was not effected during both times the phone was dead. I have been a loyal customer for about 50 years without missing a single bill. I deserve the right to see the report. Which explains in detail about the type of damage that I am supposed to have carried out to the cable/junction box. I have already said that I will photograph the Junction box /cable to send to BT. But they declined my offer. I have also asked for a deadlock letter. Time to move from BT

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mugged and had £129.99 stolent faulty

Are you sure it's a BT 52A , that type of block terminal was used to terminate the line cord of an old rotary dial type ( 746/706 type phone ) , a similar looking block terminal 49A was used to convert the drop wire from the pole to internal cable that would run to the master socket. What exactly was the problem you reported to your provider, were you given the warning about potential charges if the problem was either your own wiring , extension sockets or equipment or damage not considered to be fair wear and tear ? If the block terminal was 'line side ' of the master socket , then using the test port of a master socket wouldn't isolate it from the line , but as there isn't much to it, unless it was on a damp surface ( causing corrosion) then it's difficult to see how it could go faulty. It's not clear why if you think this 'fault' was linked to an external fault that was cleared some weeks earlier , why did you re-report a fault, perhaps you could post a photo of box in question If the broadband continued to work but telephony was affected suggests a 'dis 1 leg' type fault and this would normally reduce the speed of the Internet connection.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Re: Mugged and had £129.99 stolen

52a block terminals were also used to terminate incoming dropwire to internal cabling. Many were situated on window cills or just inside the front door. They were (and still are) subject to damp and corrosion. I suspect this is what the "damage" was.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
sultan3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Re: Mugged and had £129.99 stolent faulty

Inultous..Fairly sure its a BT 52A.  With a screw on the cover. The 49A clips on top by the looks of it. Problem reported was a dead phone.  no tone nothing. Problem was reported via the BT website This was reported back:

Fault diagnostic run It looks like the problem is in or near to your home, and we'll need to contact you before sending an engineer. We will be in touch with you on the details you have provided us with. 

No4 was highlighted  ..."Close to customers property"

The charges were made aware to me whilst online.  But I was confident that they would not apply.

The reason why I link it to a previous fault is primarily because of the exact same syptoms as before. The block terminal is on a window sill inside the house, where it has been for the past 50 odd years.   The block was originally tucked into the cutout. The dark shade on the block shows how far it was inserted. The line from the master socket comes out from the cutout. Its not possible to move or damage that part of the line from the master socket. It looks though that he has shortened the cable that is painted. This goes out of our property, which is on the 2nd floor.Block.jpg (2).jpg

0 Ratings
sultan3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Devon_Dave..If the 52a are subject to damp and corrosion. Then this is an inherrent fault of this type of block. Why should the customer be liable to a charge and why was the block not replaced with a better block terminal?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

BT 52A's have been around over 50 years and have always been a problem however the replacements 77, 78 and 80s I consider to be worse due to the fact that they contain a copper based printed circuit board that would corrode.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings