cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardstpowell
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

My BT Telecoms Systems in my property - Information needed!

Hi Everyone,

My property has 2 working phone lines, which come into the property, directly from the exchange/distribution box, outside my house. When they built the houses in my area, BT and Openreach apparently, double coiled the telephone cables, which come into the houses, from the telephone line box, and telephone masts outside. In addition, all of the telephone sockets in my house, before I had my second line put in, were all on the same system. From what I gather, there are two telephone cables, that come into the property, and some how they must go their separate ways from there. However, I know nothing about the way these lines have been set up or configured at all.

When BT and Openreach installed my second telephone line, there was a telephone junction in my room, near the window. Apparently there was a 'tee off/telephone extension/branch off', which went from there, and into a telephone socket in my bedroom. I believe what happened, was: The engineer cut the extension, from the main telephone system, created a new BT phone number and infrastructure in the property and in the telephone mast/exchange, and then linked the two together, to create a completely separate phone line.

Here are some photos, of my houses telecom infrastructure below:

Attachment.jpgThe unknown wires coming in from the telephone mast outside, for some reason there is one cable outside the property, but there are these two cables inside the property.

Attachment2.jpgThis is where/what the two unidentified cables go into when they go inside my bedroom, after coming through a hole in the bedroom wall.

Attachment3.jpgThis is where/what the two cables go into after coming into my room from outside. The telephone extension cable, that runs down the midle to bottom of the photo, goes to a BT Master socket, which is part of my second BT Phone line.

My questions are -

1. What are these components called? And what function do they serve?

2. Can anyone tell me more about the configuration/set-up/design/construction or informative information about the phone lines/components etc...

3. Could anyone give me any information, about how these phone lines, would have been configured/set-up, or wired/installed etc...

Also if anyone has any speculations, conjecture, or theories etc, then I would be most open to hearing them.

Kind regards and yours sincerely,

From Edward Powell

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: My BT Telecoms Systems in my property - Information needed!

@edwardstpowell 

Who is your current phone service provider?

0 Ratings
edwardstpowell
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

BT Telecoms

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I assume you mean BT retail, and you have a current working phone with them.

The only way to get all the wiring sorted out is to request a home improvement visit, as the wiring before the master socket, is the property of Openreach. I assume this wiring is causing a fault?

The would run a new direct feed  from the incoming cable, and fit a new master socket. You would then be free to recover any old wiring.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-home-improvement-service-charges

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Does BT Retail provide broadband on your line or someone else?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

I’ve read that twice and I still haven’t got a clue what exactly it is you’re asking?

0 Ratings
edwardstpowell
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I would like to know, what exactly is the BT Component shown in the photos, for example the component where two cables are going into it, and what the Junction or device shown in the photo. Also what are the 2 black cables? When I look outside my bedroom window, there is only 1 phone line coming in from the mast, however there are 2 separate cables that come into my bedroom through the wall, which both go into the BT Component or line Junction.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

The two black cables are drop wires, most likely Drop Wire 10b, which both have two pairs of 0.5mm gauge copper.

The white box will either be a BT78 or BT80 (BT as in Block Terminal, not British Telecom). couldn’t really say unless I could see inside it though. 

The cable coming from what you call a Mast but the rest of us call a Telephone or Telegraph Pole will also be a Drop Wire like the ones in the picture. It might be a Drop Wire 15 (4 pair 0.5mm gauge) but will most likely be a Drop Wire 10b. A phone line is a single pair, so obviously a Drop Wire 10b can Provide 2 lines. 

0 Ratings