Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cazzoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

My elderly mother in law has had no phone for over a week now

Her neighbour reported it to BT first, I also rang several times, we both got the call centre in India, and each time they promised it would be fixed by Wednesday 9th.

Last weekend I was promised daily updates on progress, that didn't happen - how could it when they didn't ask for my phone number, I imagined it was captured when I made the call....

On the 9th in the afternoon I tried to ring MIL, and it clearly wasn't working, it rings but she cannot hear anything. So I rang the call center again who assured me that engineers were there working on the fault in the exchange and it would be all fixed that evening.

I have repeatedly told the call centre with my concerns that this is a frail 85 year old woman, living alone who has no way of contacting anyone without the phone, and she has a hip that needs replacing so not only could fall, but finds it painful and difficult to walk and walks with a stick. She is barely managing to look after herself but is proud and doesn't want to leave her home.

BT engineers were seen last week, they seem to have fixed the neighbour's phone line but not MILs.

Finally today, and I should have done this before I realise now, I rang again and asked this time to speak to a manager, and I was kept hanging about for various reasons, (and now I am being told not that is is the exchange, but it is a common fault with the tone and they need to dig the road up), and eventually after going all through the circumstances yet again a manager in India assures me he has filled in a form which will go to Cardiff or some city in the UK and they will be in touch and will do something on a welfare basis, they didn't realise there were welfare concerns before (really! I told them every single time, but clearly it wasn't in the script).

All I want is for MIL to be given a temporary simple to use mobile FOC, and I think she should be compensated for all the worry she is going through, she hasn't been able to go shopping with the cousins who take her because she couldn't contact them to confirm so ran out of bread and milk, and actually struggled up her steep hill (using her walking stick) to the shop to carry it back because she doesn't like to go and ask any neighbours unless she sees them outside. 

Every time I have spoken to the call centre they have lied to me about this being fixed, not their fault - they are clearly given a script from which they do not deviate, but this really is shocking and I am trying to find out how to take it further, do OFFTEL still exist?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: My elderly mother in law has had no phone for over a week now

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only, where forum members, who are only BT customers, can help each other with BT Retail products and services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.

You can track the fault here.

Reporting Phone Faults

BT normally offer a free divert to a mobile, and a contribution towards the costs.

Customer service guarantee

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers. BT do not get any special treatment.

Openreach have a backlog of work due to the recent bad weather, so installation and repairs are taking much longer than normal.

If you cannot get it sorted, then

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
Cazzoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for all of that information, my Mother in Law is with BT but would be unable to join this forum (she has no computer, or any technical ability) so I am doing it for her, I am indirectly with BT as I am with Plusnet.

I did request that she should get some sort of temporary mobile and I was told this was not possible at first (my mother in law has never owned a mobile and would have to have a very big button big display and simple one if she did), however now it has been referred to the UK I hope it will get sorted out, if nobody contacts me about this tomorrow I will try the BT care team.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

You could try contacting one of the mod team about this. Their details are under their username.  You wil need her a/c number, address etc.

I've escalated this for you to them.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Cazzoo
Had you considered your mother in law move in with you whilst she is without her phone service?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Cazzoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Not helpful on bit Dave but thanks.

I don't think she would want to do that, she is fiercely independent and likes her own surroundings and routine, and before you suggest I move in with her - no way, I couldn't cope with her windy stairs, or eat her food, I have my own problems thank you and dogs to look after. 

She finds our straight stairs "dangerous" so wouldn't be happy going up our stairs. It wouldn't work for many reasons!

BT in the U.K. have been in touch and are going to ask the engineer if he has a temp large button mobile she can borrow until the road is finally dug up, yes they now need to dig the road up and yet she had a phone service before, and they need permission from the council, but have promised daily updates - not had the first one yet!

They said they only became aware of the problem Friday, which is when I rang and asked to speak to a manager when it became clear that the problem wasn't fixed and I had been told a load of lies so far about it being fixed by last Wednesday, even on the day, and daily updates were promised but not recieved, and I told them every time about the circumstances - this clearly doesn't get passed on unless you ask for a manager and he fills in a welfare form!

0 Ratings
Cazzoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thank you Allan, they have been in touch now. No nearer a solution but it seems to be a priority now.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

@Cazzoo wrote:

....... are going to ask the engineer if he has a temp large button mobile she can borrow until the road is finally dug up,

You may need to look at another way of getting a mobile phone, engineers do not have mobile phones to lend end users.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Cazzoo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

I have been told that it is possible for a mobile phone to be issued however this is normally if the service is out for a month or more, the way things are going it could be. Also this would be a standard mobile not a large display large button simple one suitable for an elderly person with impaired sight.

The only way would seem to be to purchase one, and I don't know if she would cope with it in any case so it could be a waste of money. If she had been able to borrow one and see if she could use it then buying one might have been a viable option.

0 Ratings