cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
boomish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

My phone is no longer registering to my address?

Go to solution

Switched to BT two weeks ago, but am looking to try another service but I can’t as every quote I try says my phone line no longer exists! 
what can I do I don’t want to be stuck in an 18 month contract with BT..?

Appreciate any advice

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: My phone is no longer registering to my address?

Go to solution

@boomish 

If you switched two weeks ago, then you would already be on an 18 month contract with BT, so you would have to pay a very large cancellation fee if you moved.

What is the problem with your BT service, as it can normally be solved via this forum?

0 Ratings
boomish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution
There is a minimum 14day cancellation period with any service you buy online and has been confirmed by BT.
A variety of problems - BT engineer never showed up for installation day, high ping, intermittent internet, and we aren't keen n the BT TV service so we like to try and another before committing, trouble is either Openreach or BT have not made our number available for other companies to see so we can't even get a quote for another service, we have had the number 30 years.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

which company were you with before switch?  if SKY then new customers appear to have switching problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
boomish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution
we were with Virgin..Openreach came and moved the line
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

if you were with virgin then it is a new line as cannot use previous virgin connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
boomish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution
I think your missing the point, we've had the number 30 years, originally with BT when we purchased the house which is over 100 years old, so it's an original BT number not cable, we've switched to Sky, BT & Virgin over the years no problem. It's only now it seems to have not been registered when it was moved from Virgin. BT are trying to sort it out now but wondered if anyone else had any experience of this problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

@boomish 

Are you living at the same address as you were, when BT issued your phone number?

If you are, then as the number belongs to BT, you can keep the same number.

If you ported it out to another provider, then when you leave that provider, the number returns back to BT, which is why its not available to other providers. If you want to keep yor number, you will have to stay with BT Retail.

At the end of your contract, you should be able to port the number out again, but it will always belong to BT Retail.

As for the issues with your BT service, that can be resolved here, by one of the moderators if you wish?

0 Ratings
boomish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

The is the same address & number as when we purchased the property yes, never had a problem with switching providers, Openreach say it's BT's fault. 

Appreciate the reply Keith but that not what BT just told me, I have no contract, they have extended the trial period because they admit there is a fault somewhere in their system, I have to tell the new provider to issue something called a tags request to BT. I really wish I'd never tried BT now, what a waste of time.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Hi @boomish  welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Sorry that you are having trouble moving your number to another supplier. As you have just moved your number from Virgin to BT successfully the address records must be correct so I'm not sure what is causing the problem. I've sent you a Private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team and we will be happy to look into this further for you.
Check here: https://community.bt.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Thanks
John

0 Ratings