cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnway
Beginner
Message 1 of 28

Mysterious timeline 123 calls

I've noticed in the last month that timeline calls are on my phone bills and i'm getting stumped as to whats dialing them.

The times are either 1 or 2 seconds long and are randomly dialed. Sometimes early in the morning like 1 or 2am, other times it might be in the middle of the afternoon and sometimes even 20/30 minutes after one has been made and i'm getting fed up considering its 30p for a call no one in the family made.

I've searched around online and checked Sky services to see if there is some reason its dialing 123 but couldn't find anything. I trid scanning my pc to just make sure there wasn't anything on my main machine and it came up clean. But some of the times it apparently gets called out are when the pc isn't switched on in my home. 

searching the forums hasn't really come up with any solution and they're still being dialed. Has anyone got any ideas as to what else could be causing it? My next plan to remove the phones for a few days to see what happens and isolate the offending items. I might even do a second sweep on my machines incase there are dialers or something (alhough i suspect most would be **bleep** dialers rather then constant calls to timeline)

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Mysterious timeline 123 calls

All you can do is to disconnect everything from your phone line, apart from a single phone, and see if the problem is still there.

Unless your PC has a fax or phone modem connection, then its not going to be that causing the problem.

Are you a BT Broadband customer as well as a phone customer? If you are, do you use Broadband Talk?

I moved this to the phones board, as there is are a couple of people here who have a lot of experience with phone and line faults. It is possible for a line fault to cause this, but its quite rare these days.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 28

Hi This is normally caused by a line fault which is continually disconnecting and reconnecting the line, this causes pulses which the telephone exchange interprets as you making a call, A comparison to this would be the old dial telephones which basically did the same thing. Remember the old films when someone made a call by tapping the swichhooks on the top of the phone?

I am surprised that you have not had a call asking if you have been making emergency calls as the other 999 number is 112.

As Keith says all you can do is disconnect everything and see if it still happens.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Johnway
Beginner
Message 4 of 28

Thanks for the replies guys.

Our internet is currently with sky broadband but we pay for the landline. I did recall my Dad mentioning to me that someone called a few days ago (to talk about the line and say something verifying the line about pressing 5 or something) and ask me about it believing that i did something to get a call like that (i didn't).

I do experience during the evenings occassional slow down so when i  stream/watch something on youtube in chrome it would stop dead after a few seconds but i was always under the impression it was my browser.On rare occassions it got pretty bad where it would do it in the evenings around 6-8 as well. But they've stopped.

I suspected that it may have been a dodgy phone over christmas (the phone had been damaged or something as everytime someone pressed the dial button to begin dialing it would just be one long bleep. Plus the screen was damaged.) and only did we notice the mysterious dialing, but despite replacing that phone for a new one the problem still persists (according to the online bills). But the home phones probably be one of the few things i'll disconnect first and see what happens. 

I might just try asking BT to test the line to make absolutely sure theres nothing wrong with it, i might try switching off the sky box each evening and see if there are any changes.

0 Ratings
milleniumaire
Contributor
Message 5 of 28

I'm also getting calls to 123 showing up on my bills and these are calls that nobody in my family has knowingly made.  There aren't many, only 12 in total since last September, but I would like to get to the bottom of how these calls are being made.

After researching, I believe there are 4 possibilities;

- BT Broadband

- Sky HD

- Engineers at the exchange

I signed up to BT broadband last August, which coincides with the calls starting.  Also, towards the backend of last year I had a new Sky HD box installed (not sure of the exact date).  Finally, I started using Skype to keep in touch with my son at University, so this was installed on my PC last September.

As a test, I've disconnected the Sky HD box from the phone line.

Of course BT are denying any knowledge of issues with calls to 123 even though I can see on a forum that one person, who had hundreds of these types of calls, tracked it down to the BT exchange!

The line from BT is that I need to find out who is making the calls - basically, they aren't interested.  Why should they be, it's 12 calls out of millions!  I've asked them to block this number but they say they can't do that.  That's convenient for them seeing as they get paid for each call made to it!

I would appreciate any pointers as to what might be causing these calls.

0 Ratings
Johnway
Beginner
Message 6 of 28

The problems still persist in my house hold and seems to be getting worse. At first taking out all the phone stopped the timeline 123 errors and inserting the newest phone although stopped for a few days has returned again! In fact its back to initial levels and i'm losing patience on the whole matter.

In fact in the last 2 days alone it has happened 12 times on sunday 27th (below is just one day):

19:34

19:10

15:32

13:08

11:45

10:36

06:33

06:05

05:18

05:16

05:12

Monday

11:55

11:14

11:12 (This one is interesting. it made a call AT THE SAME TIME with another number which is a local number that we didn't dial)

10:42

04:32

It seems to be dialing the same few numbers each time as well and i can't understand the problem. I've yanked the phone line again to stop them. Is there anything i can do to get the timeline 123 calls dropped or anything else i can try to stop timeline 123 from continuing? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 28

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you sort this out.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 28

With both of these phantom 123 call problems, its usually caused by devices connected to the line like Sky boxes, which are capable of making calls, they dial home to Sky,and if they go faulty can 'dial ' randomly.. you need to eliminate them and anything else that could make a call,as the cause of the problem A not too common problem these days is the dial up modem in a PC, if still connected to the phone line it needs to be disconnected, after disconnecting things that could make a call, apart from the telephone itself, monitor the situation, if the calls persist, the problem is for your line rental provider to investigate, if the phantom calls stop, then the problem is yours, caused by your faulty device connected to the line. Unless you have Sky multi room there is no reason you to keep your sky box connected to the phone line, your line rental provider isn't going to be interested in looking for a fault until you have done some investigation yourself as in most cases like this its a problem caused by the end users own equipment
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 28

@Johnway wrote:

The problems still persist in my house hold and seems to be getting worse. At first taking out all the phone stopped the timeline 123 errors and inserting the newest phone although stopped for a few days has returned again! In fact its back to initial levels and i'm losing patience on the whole matter.

In fact in the last 2 days alone it has happened 12 times on sunday 27th (below is just one day):

19:34

19:10

15:32

13:08

11:45

10:36

06:33

06:05

05:18

05:16

05:12

Monday

11:55

11:14

11:12 (This one is interesting. it made a call AT THE SAME TIME with another number which is a local number that we didn't dial)

10:42

04:32

It seems to be dialing the same few numbers each time as well and i can't understand the problem. I've yanked the phone line again to stop them. Is there anything i can do to get the timeline 123 calls dropped or anything else i can try to stop timeline 123 from continuing? 

Hi.

From the extra info you've kindly supplied, and assuming that a rogue dialler isn't the cause - which these days is very unlikely, but not impossible as in this case there is no gain to be made - it seems like you may have some faulty hardware/socket.

You said that the calls stopped after taking all the phones out (how many were in use, and were any using power adaptors ?), but that after a couple of days of inserting the "newest" phone it has returned. Is this newest phone a brand new one since you first posted here, or just your newest acquisition ?

Hence it points at either the phone is faulty, or the socket you plug it into is. If you do have more than one phone socket, you could try a different one with the same phone and monitor the calls over a few days to see.

Equally use an "older" phone (or borrow one from a neighbour/friend if possible) in the phone socket, and again monitor the calls.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

As you are also getting a local number dialled, then its more likely your line is in contact with another customer, on the external network.

0 Ratings