cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

NO CALLER ID

I signed up for BT services when I moved house around a year ago and have never had Caller ID.  I first informed BT via online chat about it and I received a text on 26 March 2019 saying the fault was fixed, but sadly nothing changed.  Things that I've tried.

1.  BT said it was probably my phone, but my phone's default setting is to have Caller ID enabled.  Anyway, I tried my old phone which had Caller ID on it from my previous property and that one showed 'external call' when I rang it from my mobile, so I know it's not my new phone.

2.  I have unplugged my router and plugged each phone directly into the phone socket and still get 'external call' when phoned from my mobile even though my mobile number is in both phones' phonebook.

3. I dialled #234# from each phone and got the message "Caller ID will not be displayed"

I contacted BT via online chat and was given a fault reference and told it would be fixed in 2-3 days.  It's still showing 'external call' on the display, even for numbers in the phonebook.  I tried to follow this fault up yesterday via online chat, but online chat was nowhere to be seen!  I went into the section to check on the progress of a fault and got the message 'no faults to display on this account'.  I'm going to have to phone them aren't I?   Does anybody know what's happened to the online chat, and is there anything else I should try before contacting them?

Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: NO CALLER ID

@judymeg 

As its not actually been activated yet, try ordering it on this page https://secureorder.bt.com/consumerOrders/control/orderproduct?productId=CON-27455&productKey=CON-CH...

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

caller ID is free but not included automatically   if you got to MYBT and login you should be able to order it bearing in mind it is free

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

When I spoke to BT chat on 15 March 2019 I was told 'Caller ID is noted on my account and it must be my phone'.  I proved that it wasn't my phone.

Is 'caller ID is noted on my phone' the same as being activated?  Had it not been activated I would have thought they would have done that in March or on 08/09/2019 when i contacted them again wouldn't you??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 12

It needs to be activated on your line. Try the link Keith supplied.

The majority of phones are already set up for caller display. 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 12

I used the link that Keith supplied and   ordered it as suggested.  My phone is still saying 'external' when i ring it from my mobile!   I'm going to ring BT (if the chat is still unavailable.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

if you have ordered it then you need to wait for order to be completed before it will be activated

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

@judymeg wrote:

I used the link that Keith supplied and   ordered it as suggested.  My phone is still saying 'external' when i ring it from my mobile!   I'm going to ring BT (if the chat is still unavailable.)

The order normally completes in 24 hours, as data has to be sent to the exchange, which is normally done overnight. You can check the progress by logging into MyBT.

judymeg
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Still got no caller ID. Someone from BT is calling between 18.00 and 20.00 tonight. I will chat to them about the problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Has the order for caller display completed, when you look on MyBT?

0 Ratings