Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Need a new face plate for a master socket

Go to solution
I have had problems with my landline not being able to receive calls after a long time phoning etc the help and fault procedure an Indian person on live chat told me to go to my local electrical shop and buy a new face plate for about £7 I tried to Google it and discovered there are several starting about £17 none look like mine. The phone seems to work sometimes and again tonight I couldn't receive calls again. There is a 15 min delay on the live chat so I think I will have to get an engineer down and pay the charge. I pay for line rental and broadband no one has disturbed the wiring or dog chewed the box etc .
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Need a new face plate for a master socket

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

You may not have to pay a charge.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

Its worth checking at the test socket.

Test Socket.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
I have unscrewed the face plate and am using the test socket and phones work ok. The socket was put in about 2 years ago with a new phone line and had been fine it is an open reach MK 2 split in two sections top for broadband and bottom half for phone. It is that section that comes away still attacked by two wires. Have researched where I could get a new one but can't find the same one.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

The split Openreach sockets are very unreliable due to their over complicated design.

Failure of the phone connection is very common.

This is a suitable replacement, and a much simpler design, and very reliable.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate about £11.50.

LINDY VDSL2 Microfilter Faceplate

Any extensions are wired to the back of the faceplate as shown below. Just use pins 2 and 5.

lindy rear.jpg

Its worth making sure that its not the phone extension wires causing the phone to fail. If you disconnect them from the back of the faceplate that you removed. Then replace the faceplate, see if the phones work.

If they do, then the fault is on your extension wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you for this is this hard to wire up it says use a punch tool? I am worried I will make situation worse then BT will charge.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@JT5 wrote:
Thank you for this is this hard to wire up it says use a punch tool? I am worried I will make situation worse then BT will charge.

No, that is only for any extension wiring on the back.

The normal master socket is not touched, this just fits over it, and plugs into the test socket. There are a couple of screws to fix it in place, its very simple and effective.

If you do not use any of the phone extensions, then the extension wiring can be left disconnected.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Ok Thank you so much for your help. Will Definately try all you've advised.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I am sure it will solve the problem. Please revisit this user forum if you need more help in the future.

0 Ratings