cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kalkerwelly
Message 1 of 5

Neighbour cut our phone cable

So my neighboured has been having an extension on her house and she rang BT about having the phone cable moved but didn't want to pay the £126. She told us she was not paying it and see if we can move it so on Friday after being on the phone to BT over a hour and hung up twice, we got told there is nothing we can do its not on our property so we can't pay to move it. The telegraph post is next to her house which connects the cable from her house to ours as the other telegraph pole don't the street wouldn't reach our house so that's the only way they could connect it. Today the builders cut the cable so we no longer have any phone/internet access phoned BT and said an engineer would come out in a few days yet they don't seem to care someone has damaged their property even though they said Friday she will be in serious trouble if she does that. So don't know what to do now it where we stand with Italy as the customer service with BT is rubbish and I assume she will get the bill as she is the one that damaged it and on her property and not ours.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Neighbour cut our phone cable

@Kalkerwelly, sounds like your neighbour will have to pay up & compensate you for the loss of your service, I assume her builders are insured against this type of issue, good luck at the small claims court. I hope Openreach can resolve this line coming in from your neighbour's property, sounds like that should have been corrected a little while ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Cant understand why someone who is paying probably quite a few £thousands to have an extension built then worries about paying £126 to have a telephone cable moved.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

BT don't care, because it's Openreach's cable.  Openreach may start looking for someone to bill, though.  Provided the cut wasn't made on your property, that shouldn't be you.

0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

If your neighbour won't allow the cable to be attached to her house and the other poles in the street are to far away then Openreach wouldn't have any choice but to either put a new carrier pole outside or near to your house or move the line under ground.

They'd more than likely go for the carrier pole option as that's the cheapest.