Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Neighbours Phoneline comes into our property

Hello all,

So the main phone line cable comes from off the pole outside and enters our home beneath the hall window, into a black junction box (very old!).  From this junction box two grey cables appear, one of which runs down the stairs of our hall and to a BT socket.  The other grey cable runs up the wall, not hidden, to the attic.  We have investigated it's path and see that it runs to our next door neighbour (we are in a semi detached therefore with a shared wall).  

Now I am trying to figure out what is the best way forward as we do not want the phone lines there.

I was going to firstly ask the neighbour whether they have BT (or a provider through the line) as a lot of the street is cable I believe. 

If not then I was going to contact Openreach, as I believe it to be there infrastructure and have it removed, hopefully at no cost to me as I don't believe I should be made responsible for somebody elses line and of course Openreach property.

I posted this to seek advice on whether this seems reasonable and whether any similar experiences?

Photo below (has flipped 90 degrees, but one cable runs to attic (left) and the other to our BT socket).

Many thanks

IMG_2112 (1).jpgJunction Box with two grey cables, left one runs to attic and then neighbours, right is ours

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Neighbours Phoneline comes into our property

from your previous postings does that line come from the pole outside and into your home?  is there a similar cable from the pole to your neighbours home?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

It would be very unusual if your neighbour' s line came via your house. I wonder if at one time the 2 occupants decided to share a line somehow. You can easily check by removing the cover of the junction box and seeing how the cables are connected. If there are 2 lines involved, 2 of the incoming wires will connect to 2 wires in one of the internal cables and 2 to 2 wires in the other cable. If both internal cables connect to the same 2 incoming wires then there is only one line involved.

0 Ratings
ScottyN1
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

@imjolly  Thanks for the response.  You are correct, on the other side of the black box is the line to the pole (goes through the wall beneath the window).  There is no line to my neighbours property.

@licquorice  Thanks also for your input.  Not sure on what previous arrangements may have been and as you can see they are very old.  I will be home in 30 mins, let me take a photo and I will post it of the inside.

0 Ratings
edwardstpowell
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Hi there,

I am not sure if this is relevant, but I have something slightly similar to the photo which you have uploaded.

Here is a photo:

Attachment.jpgAttachment2.jpg

0 Ratings
Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

About 90% of homes across Britain will have something similar to what you and the OP have given it would’ve been a BT or a now Openreach Engineer who would’ve installed using Stock supplied to them by British Telecom. 😒

0 Ratings