Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hel
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Neighbours phone line going through my flat

Go to solution
I moved into a ground floor flat and wondered why there was a cable coming out of the floor in the middle of an airing cupboard going straight up through the ceiling and presumably into the flat above. I was told by an electrician that it is a bt line. Is this legal? It feels like trespass into my property? Can I remove the cable as it’s preventing me from using the airing cupboard?
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Zombie
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Neighbours phone line going through my flat

Go to solution

Are you certain it’s not your line coming down from above?  Speak with the neighbours see what they know about it before you possibly cut them off.  Surely you don’t want them dancing on the ceiling night and day in a rage? 

Is it a converted house? As It might just be a redundant extension. In which case removal shouldn’t be a problem. 

0 Ratings
Hel
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you for reply.

There’s 2 cables comin out of middle of concrete floor in airing cupboard, one is mine and is unobtrusive one is the purpose built flat above which goes from floor straight up through ceiling in middle of airing cupboard making it impossible to use the space.
I wouldn’t mind if the cable was longer as then it could be clipped around side walls but it’s quite thick.
Appreciate help advice?
Thank you

Hel
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
Having a chat with the flat above 1st would be a good idea, so you can trace the cable 100%. If its theirs then either they or you could contact OpenReach* to have it moved. But best to check 1st then report back.

*Most likely them or the phone supplier. Someone else may clarify
Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Hel
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Thank you.
I phoned bt Sunday and explained the cable was a health and safety issue as someone could have got hurt by it so they sent engineer out within 4 hrs and it’s now been sorted! Well impressed!!!! Huge thanks to bt xx
CJT80
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution
Wow that's excellent!! Assuming the Engineer was from OpenReach you can give them praise, just search Thank an OpenReach Engineer
Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Hel
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
He was from open reach . He s never seen anything like it!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
CJT80
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
I was on my mobile so I couldn't link it.
Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings