cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MollyCarr
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

New Alessi handset. Phone line ok but no dial tone

I received an Alessi handset as a present but I can't get it to work. The functions of the handset are working fine and the phone line is good (it works fine with an old BT handset) but I cannot achieve a dial tone, receive call or make them. When I call my landline from my mobile it appears as though it's ringing but it's not. 

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: New Alessi handset. Phone line ok but no dial tone

If the phone lead going in to it has a small plug each end, you could try reversing it, just in case it only works one way.

One end may have an adapter on the end, but the cord should just be plugged in. Each end will have a small clip which you have to press in to release the cord. Make sure both ends are pushed back in until they click in place.

The other possibility is that it could be faulty, and would need to be exchanged.

0 Ratings
MollyCarr
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi Keith,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've tried the phone with both ends of the cord but it makes no difference. I have a feeling the phone itself is not faulty as it's charging properly and phonebook entry etc are all working fine.

Thanks again for trying to help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@MollyCarr wrote:

Hi Keith,

Thanks so much for your reply. I've tried the phone with both ends of the cord but it makes no difference. I have a feeling the phone itself is not faulty as it's charging properly and phonebook entry etc are all working fine.

The fact that its charging and the phonebook is working, means nothing when it comes to the actual internal phone circuitry.

A faulty or incorrect line cord, electronic component failure, or faulty internal switches, are just one of the many things that can be wrong with the phone.

As your BT line works with another phone, then there is nothing that BT would do to help, apart from suggesting that you exchange the phone.

0 Ratings
PaulVarjak
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Try testing the phone in a friend's/relative's/neighbour's house.

0 Ratings