Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SL55
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

New BT landline install

Go to solution

Good evening all,

this is my first foray into this forum, so please forgive me if I transgress in any way!

After being with 'Virginmedia' for a long, long time, I eventually decided that, after their continued poor delivery, poor Customer Service and annual increased costs, I would seek telephone and broadband solace elsewhere ... that coupled with BT Sports !

How happy was I, when I signed up for 18 months ?  ...  and BT took my money up front, a long time ago.

My new landline and broadband install was nearly two weeks ago ...  I'm very happy with my broadband, but my landline migration from Virginmedia, has been a nightmare!

What really surprises me, as a new customer, is the total lack of support that I've received from BT ... it's almost as though, we've got your money up front, we don't give a s***, so join the back of the queue sucker ! ... this Customere Service is just about the worst that I've experienced in the UK, in the past 40 years

I've had numerous SMS txts, stating that, if the fault is on my property then I would be liable for the engineer call out charge of £199.99 ... but hey, I'm a new customer ... does that count for anything ?!

Latest call out today, the engineer stated that ... and I'm truly sorry about this BT ... because my landline doesn't ring when people are calling me ...  the problem is either with Virginmedia or a local exchange configuration ?!

I've retired from IT after 25 years ... but I still remember the old adage, 'if it sounds like, looks like and smells like .... then it is !' ... meanwhile, I've just received my first online bill from BT !

Surely, there must be somebody out there, thatr believes in fair play ?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: New BT landline install

Go to solution
Any faults found after the test socket or with equipment connected to the service is chargeable any fault found between the exchange and your home is non chargable
0 Ratings
SL55
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply, but this was a new install and was never tested properly !

I had to book another engineer call out ... even though my new telephone install hadn't worked from day one ... the earliest was for a week later ... engineer turns up, is only on site for five minutes max., tests the line and says it's not a problem in the home ... and that it must either be a problem with the exchange or the transfer of my line from Virgin ... it's not rocket science, is it ? ... or am I the first customer BT have ever had to transfer from Virgin ? ...

The following day, Friday ... 12 days from the original install ... my phone works ... call from engineer stating that is was a 'data transfer' problem ... guess we all know what that means !

Next call I make is to customer services to query why I should pay for a service I hadn't received ? ... I was told to ring the accounts section the following day ... when I phoned them, they 'graciously' said that they would refund that money ... I said that thy were having a laugh, in as much as the inconvenience and extra expenditure on my mobile, all because they hadn't got their act together ... got a total refund of £15 ... they would record my comments and somebody would soon be in contact to discuss my complaint ...

.... guess that was yesterday then, when I got an SMS on my mobile re: my recent fault and stating that for my response, I would only be charged at the 'normal txt rate' .... priceless !!

Having said all this and read other blogs on this forum, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones ... how much longer can BT expect to attract and retain any of their customers, if this is the service they provide?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
0 Ratings
SL55
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

People in general just don't get it, do they ? ... I don't want compensation, all I want is what BT contracted to provide me, from day one and an improved, value for money service !

I must have told at least 50 people , before relating my experiences with BT on social networks ... and as Branson says, if they tell six people who then go on to tell six more  etc ... then pretty soon my experience, compounded with the hundreds of other 'experiences' online with BT, will not be a good advert for new customers.

0 Ratings