Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

New BT landline with lost number

Good evening,

We’ve had a BT telephone number in excess of 35 years and a couple of weeks ago (25/03) we tried to port the landline number over from Plusnet to Virgin, this port failed and has now resulted in the Plusnet landline being closed and I guess the telephone number being returned to BT Openreach.

Virgin are saying they can’t retrieve this number from BT Openreach and are offering no further help!

I know this is BT Retail, but obviously as a retail consumer we cannot contact BT Openreach.

So what I’m asking is if we get a new BT retail landline would BT retail be able to retrieve the old number? It’s at the same address where it’s been for over 35 years and was only disconnected 2 weeks ago.

When going through the online sales it states

Inactive phone line found

Good news – we've found a line.

There's a phone line at this address that's not currently being used. We can easily activate it for you.

Some customers will have to pay a connection charge for this service.

Not sure if the above helps in any way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

RingTone123

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: New BT landline with lost number

@RingTone123 

If the number belongs to BT retail, and you are living at the same address when it was issued, the moving your service back to BT Retail, should enable you to get the number back.

A temporary number would be assigned first, and then you can request a renumber back to your original BT Retail number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

How can I double check and confirm it belongs to BT retail?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Hi,

So I've now confirmed the number belongs to BT from Ofcoms numbering data.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/numbering-d...

I've now placed an order for a new BT Retail landline, which will be activated early next week.

Who from this forum will assist the line renumbering? And how long does this normally take?

Regards,

RingTone123

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 17

Please post back here once your new line is active, and help can be offered.

Highlighted
Message 6 of 17

Hi @RingTone123,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.

As @Keith_Beddoe has mentioned once the line is up and working let us know and we can look into the re-number for you.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Hi,

The BT landline has been activated today and I can confirm I can make and receive calls on it.

Can we please get the line re-numbered to our original landline number as soon as possible?

Also I tried to create a new My BT account but it said the email address was already in use. So I've managed to reset the credentials for it and have logged in, its looks to be our old My BT account, but the new landline isn't in there so what can we do about this?

Thanks

RingTone123

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 17

Hi @RingTone123 thanks for confirming your services are now up and running. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how to contact the Mod team and we will be happy to help with the renumber.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Hi @JohnC2 or anyone else,

Any update on this renumber request?

This is urgent for us as we are in the at risk group for COVID-19 and our family, friends, medical practitioner all contact us on our old landline number.

Regards,

RingTone123

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 17

Hi @RingTone123  thanks for taking the time to speak with me earlier. Just to confirm the number is still showing as allocated to Virgin. I'll check again and the weekend and hopefully the status may be updated.

cheers
John

0 Ratings