cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krackal
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

New Build Landline Order - tied into BT services?

Hi All,

I ordered a landline for my new build in late August 2019, there is still no sign of being connected this year, but that's a whole other long story of bumbling BT/Openreach incompetence 🙄

Anyhow, at the time of ordering the BT salesman was aggressively trying to ram a 2 year contract for services down my throat, I declined and only ordered a landline.

My concern now is that if and when they (BT/Openreach) get around to connecting me, I may somehow be tied into using there services.

For clarity, I do not want any association with BT, then that which is necessary e.g installing a landline. My experience with them and by extension Openreach has been appalling, and I never thought I'd say these words but 'I wish I lived in an area serviced by Virgin Media'.  

So, am I tied into to using BT services if they have provided me with a landline? or am I free to use another provider (SKY, Plusnet, Talk Talk etc.) on the Openreach network?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: New Build Landline Order - tied into BT services?

@krackal 

You would have the same issue with all providers, its a very common problem with new builds, as there may not be any infrastructure installed, depending on whether the developer has been liaising with Openreach from the start. All the other providers still use Openreach, so if you have a pending order, then its best to continue with it.

Normally its a direct fibre new builds, what does your developer say?

0 Ratings
krackal
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

@Keith_Beddoe 

Well all the other providers told me that I had to order a landline through BT, as they can only provide services to a property already connected to the Openreach Network.

I have placed an order for a Landline with BT for that reason, but I'd rather go with Sky for my broadband needs, as my ongoing experience with BT has been abysmal. I understand it takes time for a new property to be set up, but they way they have handled it has been appalling.

If ordered a landline with BT, as it was the only way I could get an order on Openreach to connect my property. But going forward I'd rather not use BT as my broadband provider, I'm just unsure as to whether I'll be tied to them once connected.

EDIT: Apologies forgot to tag you!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Is there any cable running into your house, with a phone master socket on the wall?

As for broadband, its usually much cheaper to get phone and broadband from the same supplier. I am not sure why you would not want BT Broadband? If you ever have any issues with it, this user forum is a very good place to get things sorted out.

0 Ratings
krackal
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

@Keith_Beddoe 

Yes, I'm in a block of flats all of which have a phone socket, the cables for which run to a cabinet outside, awaiting for Openreach to connect to their network. About 15 metres away from that cabinet, is a BT/Openreach manhole, so installing a cable would be relatively simple. 

Its more the fact that I have had a nightmare dealing with BT, and I'd prefer not be tied with them for a fixed contract. I'd rather go with SKY, who also provide me TV.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

I expect there are plenty of others in the block with various Service Providers, all waiting for the same thing.

If you have an active order with BT Retail, I can ask one of the moderators to find out what is going on, Would you like me to do that?

Sky are an LLU provider, and have their own equipment installed in the local BT Exchange.

0 Ratings
krackal
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

There are two other tenants who have placed an order with BT, and the rest have given up because it was a nightmare, trying get through to someone at BT who could actually deal with new builds. It took myself several attempts on the phone, contact on Twitter and finally a complaint, until I could speak to someone who could actually raise an order for me.

I suspect I know the answer, but if you could ask for an update id be much appreciative.

I was more keen however, to get an answer as to whether or not I'd be tied to BT broadband once my landline had been installed.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
RobbieMac
Message 9 of 23

Hi @krackal,

Welcome to the BT Community and thanks for your posts!

Sorry for the delay connecting your line.  It's difficult for me to know for sure what the delay is without the order details.  Once we get a look at this we'll have a better idea what stage this is at.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 23

As you have such a low opinion of BT why are you here, posting on a BT consumer forum, if you have been told that the initial install in a new build has to be BT before you can switch to a provider you would obviously much prefer to use , then use that provider from the start, there is absolutely no need to use BT if you don’t want to, BT have no more or less leverage with Openreach than any other provider that uses Openreach products, they all can raise an order for new service , if the company you want to use told you anything different to that, then they don’t know what they are talking about, that includes FTTP.

I would suggest you cancel your order with BT, approach whoever it is you would prefer to use, and raise an order with them, if they say they cannot, then that speaks volumes about their professionalism, but be persistent  and ask to speak to someone better informed in their organisation what knows what they are doing, if successful getting them to do their job , instead of palming off the uninformed  with nonsense about ‘having them use BT’ , raise an order and if you still have a delay, ( you will )  you will be able to go on their Consumer forum and complain there....simples