cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krackal
Beginner
Message 11 of 23

Re: New Build Landline Order - tied into BT services?

@iniltous 

I'm posting on here as its the only way in my experience I can engage with BT staff who know what they are talking about and are helpful. I have had terrible experiences with staff on the phone, either from them being misinformed or wilfully disregarding a query as it may have been somewhat difficult to deal with, very unprofessional.

I have spent hours trying to simply raise an order on a broadband provider, and i was very persistent with Sky and progressed the issue through to be told on several occasions to use BT, very odd a competitor telling you go to the competition, each time by someone better informed.

I don't know if you work for BT or are some sort of fanboy, but your withering comments about being uniformed are not welcome. I have spent hours and hours, talking to BT staff and perhaps I've been unlucky but the bulk of them have been uninformed, and at times rude.

I wouldn't dream of cancelling my order know, as it was a Herculean effort getting here and as a BT customer I can post on this forum, I haven't been offensive or rude. I have simply highlighted, the failings I've run into as a prospective customer, mainly unprofessionalism, rudeness and now pithy remarks from forum lurkers.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 23

I am just wondering what sort of connection speed you would be expecting when you do get broadband?

You may be able to get some idea by using the address checker options on this form.

Broadband availability checker

If its below 2Mbs, some providers are not prepared to take your order.

PS. Everyone posting here, apart from the moderators, are just BT customers, and are not employed or paid to post.

0 Ratings
krackal
Beginner
Message 13 of 23

@Keith_Beddoe

UUnfortunately it's of no use to me, as I'm not yet connected to the Openreach network, also my postcode is brand new and unrecognised on the BT system. Which was part of the original issue. It is over copper so I'm not expecting blistering speeds,but anything would be good at this point.

But thank you for your help Keith and getting me in touch with an admin, much appreciated! 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 23

If you don’t want to cancel your order , then as far as your question are you tied into BT services , the answer is strictly speaking no , but practically yes, you have asked BT to provide you with landline service, as with the majority of providers , that comes with a minimum term, quit before the end of the term and early termination charges apply.

BT are the only provider amongst the major players that have to allow ‘line share’, so you can get broadband added to your BT landline from another any other company that offers suitable separate broadband , but, company's like Sky and Talk Talk don’t have to offer ‘line share’ , so they don’t, if you wanted to use one of those , or company’s like that, then it would only be if you also took their ‘line rental’ , so unless you want to migrate immediately the line is in ( and pay ETC’s ) that leaves smaller ‘niche’ providers , that don’t require the customer to also take their line rental , but its is a relatively small list of company’s , getting smaller all the time.

Its the mark up between the 30p a day cost wholesale line rental ( what OR get from the provider ) and the ‘retail’ line rental price of around £19-£20 , allows providers who provide line and broadband to easily disguise the cost of broadband element , for example a provider offering both line rental and broadband could say £19 line rental and £25 for line rental and broadband , implies broadband is £6, but it’s not really , it’s just the mark up on line rental subsiding the broadband cost, if you take BT line rental at whatever it costs , (for customers without access to any home broadband that’s around £13, but fail to qualify for that product it becomes around £19,) a standalone broadband provider could well charge around £19-£20 for broadband only, so it’s considerably more that using one company for both service.

BT Broadband with BT line rental would be cheaper but I doubt , given your question , that would be something you would be looking to avoid or be something you would even contemplate.
So, even though you think my original contribution was impudent, using a company you don’t want to for broadband as well as line rental , when you already are reluctant , or feel forced to use at all will probably just inflame your resentment even more, all I was seeking to do was offer the (obvious) solution, which is to start again with a company you admire rather than one you resent, it will also allow you to judge if the run-around you feel you are getting with BT is any better or worse if another company takes your order but encounters the same obstacles

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 23

@krackal 

I think the problem stems from other ISPs telling you to contact BT to get your landline connected and then consider broadband  

When the ISPs say BT they really mean openreach and many don't seem to know they are separate companies.  SAo as @iniltous  has said you should be able to place your order for phone and broadband with whichever ISP you choose and they should liaise with openreach to get you connected

If you get landline from BT then you may have problems getting broadband from a different ISP

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
krackal
Beginner
Message 16 of 23

@imjolly 

It's not been my experience to be honest, I've tried two other ISPs, spoken to several people in each company who have told me the same. That I had to order a Landline through BT, which in turn places an order on Openreach. For whatever reason it seems like they didn't have a mechanism to place an order on Openreach for a new Landline, that may or may not be the case, but I or the other tenants in my block didn't have much luck.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 23

as previously posted there is no more contact from openreach to BT than there is from any other ISP.  If there was the other ISP would take great delight in reporting BT to OFCOM and laughing when BT were fined

ti many people still think BT and openreach are the same thing/company.   They are part of the same group no different  Screwfix  and B&Q are part of same group

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
krackal
Beginner
Message 18 of 23

@imjolly 

I'm aware that BT and Openreach are two separate companies apart of the same group. But I have been told on multiple occasions by other companies, that they cannot raise an order for a Landline on Openreach, only BT can. This has also been the experience of the other tenants in my block. 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 23

The fact that you and your acquaintances have been given incorrect information is more a reflection on the company’s you and they attempted to use, or the lack of training  or understanding of the representatives of those company’s , rather than any sort of in built advantage BT have,  it’s absolutely the case that BT get  no preferential treatment from OR, and cannot be given first dibs on service to any new build or anywhere else, it’s mandated by Ofcom  that all providers have an equivalence of input, and all providers that consume Openreach products  use the same ordering portal , so if on a BT reps ‘access into OR’ screen there is an option to order a new line, there is exactly the same option on the screen of the company that state they cannot order a new line, perhaps it’s not easy to find, but the BT rep managed to find it, so why cannot other company’s find it , it must be there because it’s the same portal.

Its much more likely these company’s target the low hanging fruit that is migrating already existing customers of other company’s onto their network, chances are asking for something that is ( relatively) out of the ordinary gets the incorrect response you got, because it easier to you fob off and ‘blame’ BT at the same time.

If you still don’t accept this , and think what these company’s are saying must be true , you could always  ask the regulator why BT are allowed this advantage , they will ( of course) state they don’t have an advantage, because all provider have the same access to do the same as BT, if they chose not to is a commercial decision for that company, not some sort of restriction placed upon them

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 23

As openreach work for all ISPs apart from virgin maybe it is the ISPs not wanting involved in organising the installation of a phone line so just keep telling new customers the need yo contract BT

0 Ratings